2013 - Accessible tourism
"Accessible tourism" was the theme for the 2013 EDEN competition.
The destinations awarded in 2013 have based their tourism offer on accessibility for tourists regardless of their special needs, limitations, disabilities or age.
Five main aspects of accessibility have been especially taken into consideration for the award:
- the destination is barrier-free (infrastructure and facilities);
- the destination is accessible by transport means suited for all users;
- the services provided are of high quality and delivered by trained staff;
- the activities, exhibits, attractions allow participation by everyone;
- the marketing, booking systems, web sites and services provide information accessible to all.
In addition, destinations had also to fulfill the general criteria of EDEN destinations
- be "non traditional", with a low number of visitors (in comparison with the national average);
- manage their own tourism offer in a way that ensures social, cultural and environmental sustainability;
- be managed by a partnership between the public authorities and all those involved in tourism in and around the area;
- have in place or under preparation a marketing management structure and a defined strategy for sustainable tourism development.
The call for proposals was launched by the Commission in March 2012. Participating countries have selected the winning destinations among the candidate destinations, and the winners were officially awarded in Brussels on 12 November 2013.
Contact names for the National Project Officers which have managed the competition in the different countries are available on Project Officer.
Kaunertal Valley (Austria)
EDEN contact for Tiroler Oberland - Kauner
Ottignies - Louvain-la-Neuve(Belgium)
EDEN contact for Ottignies - Louvain-la-Neuve firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com
Stancija 1904 - Svetvinčenat (Croatia)
EDEN contact for Stancija 1904 - Svetvinčenat
Polis Chrysochous Municipality(Cyprus)
EDEN contact for Polis Chrysochous Municipality
Lipno (Czech Republic)
EDEN contact for Lipno
Haapsaly city (Estonia)
EDEN contact for Haapsaly city
Morvan Regional Nature Park (France)
EDEN contact for Morvan Regional Nature Park
Municipality of Marathon (Greece)
EDEN contact for Municipality of Marathon
Kaposvár and the Zselic area(Hungary)
EDEN contact for Kaposvár and the Zselic area
Cavan Town and Environs(Ireland)
EDEN contact for Cavan Town and Environs
Pistoia and Province(Italy)
EDEN contact for Pistoia and Province firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
EDEN contact for Liepaja
EDEN contact for Telsiai
Horsterwold (The Netherlands)
EDEN contact for Horsterwold
EDEN contact for Przemysl
Eden contact for Jurilovca
EDEN contact for Lasko firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com
Natural Park of Guara’s Mountains and Canyons(Spain)
EDEN contact for Natural Park of Guara’s Mountains and Canyons
Taraklı District (Turkey)
EDEN contact for Taraklı District firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com