Second Calypso Meeting : Calypso Widens Europe`s Travel Horizons
This Meeting was organised by the INATEL Foundation, Portugal, in collaboration with the European Commission, and was held from the 27th-28th October 2011 in Estoril (27th) and Lisbon (28th).
It was the last Calypso meeting for 2011 and gave considerable attention to the Economic Impact of Social Tourism, the Elaboration of Success Stories from Portugal, the four Calypso projects that were launched through the 2010 Call for Proposals, and the Future of Calypso. Additional details are available through the summary report.
The meeting was very well attended by Portuguese tourism stakeholders, including industry and associations, directly or indirectly involved in social tourism issues. Besides the Calypso Group of Experts, important personalities such as Vítor Ramalho, President of INATEL Foundation, and Luís Patrão, President of Turismo de Portugal also participated.
There were around 120 participants in total, yet the morning programme on the 27th October was also attended by an additional group of around 200 senior citizens that participated in the INATEL programme “Turismo Senior”.
During the event, the European Commission publicly launched two short Calypso video clips, one intended to grab the attention of the general public, the other of tourism stakeholders.
- Key note Speech [121 KB] Alan VELLA (European Commission)
- Economic Impact Studies Concerning Portuguese Social Tourism Programmes [271 KB] Celeste EUSEBIO (Aveiro University, Portugal)
- Javier BUSTAMANTE (Segittur, Spain) [3 MB]
- Does Social Tourism Make Economic Sense and Cents? [504 KB] Yves GODIN (OITS, Floreal Club, Belgium)
- In what ways Social Tourism can be beneficial to hotels? [637 KB] João SOARES (Hotel D. José)
- Has Social Tourism benefitted your business activity?
Domingos SILVA (Casino da Figueira)
- Does Cultural sector of business gain benefits from social tourism in the low season?
Luís ALELUIA (Artistic Director, Cartaz Theatrical Productions)
Rapporteur : Teresa CALDAROLA (Calypso Expert Group)
- Reflections on the Four Calypso Projects [814 KB] Constanze ADOLF (EUFED)
- The Institutional Perspective [3 MB] Rui Paulo CALARRAO (Social Director, INATEL Foundation, Portugal)
- The Sustainability Perspective [2 MB] Jean-Pierre MARTINETTI (Directeur Général, Cité de la Culture et du Tourisme Durable, Gréoux-les-Bains, France)
- The SME Perspective [190 KB] Klaus EHRLICH (General Secretary, Eurogites)
Rapporteur : Agnes RETI (Calypso Expert Group)
Update on the Calypso Projects :
- EST Project, Joanna TOMCZAK
- AAAE [490 KB] , Danny SILVA
- SOWELL [601 KB] , Caroline SOCIE
- URTS [85 KB] , Giovanna DEGRASSI