Harmonised standards under Directive 1999/5/EC
Harmonised standards play an important role in the operation of the Directive. Products, which conform to harmonised standards, are presumed to comply with the Directive. Where manufacturers don't use harmonised standards, they should demonstrate in extension how the essential requirements of the Directive are met.
Standards published under the Low Voltage Directive (LVD) 2006/95/EC and the Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Directive 2004/108/EC confer presumption of conformity to the electrical safety and EMC requirements of the Directive. These lists are published under the respective Directives: see LVD and EMC lists of harmonised standards.
The European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) is in the process of developing harmonised standards under the following standardisation mandates from the European Commission:
- M/512 - Harmonised standards for Reconfigurable Radio Systems
- M/455 - Harmonised standards on a common charging capability for Mobile Telephones
- M/452 - Harmonised standards for health and safety aspects of personal music players and mobile phones with a music playing function
- M/407 - Harmonised standards covering Ultra-Wideband Equipment
- M/405 - Harmonised standards covering Air Traffic Management Equipment
- M/364 - Harmonised standards for specific short range devices used for Euroloop and Eurobalise applications giving presumption of conformity with the R&TTE Directive (1999/5/EC)
- M/363 - Harmonised standards for specific short range devices used for short range radar equipment operating in the 24 GHz range
- M/362 - Harmonised standards for ensuring the safety of batteries in hand-held radio and telecommunications terminal equipment
- M/329 - Harmonised standards covering Ultrawide band (UWB) applications
- M/322 - Alignment of harmonised standards for the R&TTE Directive with those of the Medical Devices and Medical Implant Directives
- M/313 - EMC harmonised standards for telecommunication networks
- M/305 - Harmonised standards covering protection from electromagnetic fields (0 Hz to 300 GHz) generated by apparatus included in the scope of either the Low Voltage Directive 73/23/EEC (LVD) or the Radio Equipment and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment (R&TTE) Directive 1999/5/EC
- M/284 - Harmonised standards for the R&TTE Directive
For progress reports on this work and the latest state of play of standard development, please consult the ETSI website, which has a search tool for New Approach Standardisation.
The ECC and the ETSI with support from the European Commission have jointly produced this brochure which provides an introduction to the regulatory environment in Europe for radio equipment and spectrum and some key information for newcomers [655 KB].
Here you can find former OJ publications related to the R&TTE Directive