In the mechanical sector, the following Directives apply in accordance with Article 95 EC-Treaty:
- the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC covering machinery for professional use and also the growing sector of machinery sold to consumers for domestic use;
- the Lifts Directive 95/16/EC aiming to ensure a free access to the internal market for lift installers as well as for components manufacturers, while protecting the safety of user and maintenance staff;
- the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Directive 89/686/EEC covering equipment for professional use, which contributes to the prevention of occupational accidents and illnesses. It equally applies to the fast growing sector of personal protective equipment for private use in the home and for leisure and sports;
- the Directive 2000/14/EC on Noise Emissions for Outdoor Equipment setting out both noise limits and labelling requirements for a number of types of machines intended for use outdoors;
- the Directive 97/68/EC on Emissions from Non-road Mobile Machinery relating to measures against the emission of gaseous and particulate pollutants from internal combustion engines to be installed in non-road mobile machinery;
- the ATEX Directive 94/9/EC dealing with equipment and protective systems intended for use in potentially explosive atmospheres;
- the Cableways Directive 2000/9/EC on cableway installations designed to carry persons.