LeaderSHIP 2015: reference documents
- [2 MB] LeaderSHIP 2015 - full brochure [2 MB] (translations for information only)
- Communication from the Commission to the Council, the European Parliament, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions - COM(2003) 717 final (21.11.2003): LeaderSHIP 2015 - Defining the future of the European Shipbuilding and Repair Industry - Competitiveness through Excellence [223 KB]
- Commission Working Document: LeaderSHIP 2015 Progress Report COM(2007) 220 final (25.4.2007) [109 KB]
For more information, please see also the Community of European Shipyards Association (CESA): http://www.cesa.eu/
The revision of LeaderSHIP 2015
The revised strategy covers more industries and products in line with new market trends. These are linked notably to the greening of the sector and new maritime activities such as off-shore industries.
Preparatory event: Industry Hearing of 27 February 2012
A first hearing with industry stakeholders (shipbuilding and maritime equipment industry, trade unions) kicking off the revision process, took place on 27 February 2013. Its main focus was on the rationale and scope of the revision and its main thematic areas.
1. The Coordination Group
Following the industry hearing, a Coordination Group (CG) was set up. The group consisted of representatives of member states, regions, industry and trade unions. Its role was:
- to steer the revision process;
- assign working groups to deal with the main revision areas;
- manage organisational aspects of the review (working methods/practices/timelines etc.)
These duties were performed in accordance with the terms of reference for the revision process as adopted by the CG. A final version of the report was adopted by the CG in January 2013. It contained suggestions for concrete action. This report was based on the input of the Working Groups of the review process (please see below).
Thefirst meeting of the Coordination Group was held in March 30 2012, at which the Terms of References for the revision [110 KB] were adopted.
The second meeting of the Coordination Group was held on 4 May 2012.
The third meeting of the Coordination Group was held on 25 October 2012.
2. The Working Groups
The CG set up three 'working groups' for the main revision themes:
- research and innovation;
- employment and skills;
- international competitiveness and access to finance.
These WGs met in 2012 to report on possible action points related to their respective themes.
2.a. Working Group on International competitiveness and access to finance
2.b. Working Group on Research, Development and innovation
2.c. Working Group on Employment and skills
Archived reports on the situation in world shipbuilding
- Seventh Report
Document COM(2003) 232 final of 06.05.2003 [150 KB]
- Sixth Report
Document COM(2002) 622 final of 13.11.2002 [56 KB]
Commission press release IP/02/1661
- Fifth Report
Document COM(2002) 205 final of 30.04.2002 [266 KB]
- Fourth Report
Document COM(2001) 219 final of 02.05.2001 [91 KB]
- Third Report
Document COM(2000) 730 final of 15.11.2000 [126 KB]
- Second Report
Document COM(2000) 263 final of 03.05.2000 [148 KB]
- First Report on the situation in world shipbuilding
Document COM(1999) 474 final of 13.10.1999 [4 MB]