Units of measurement
Public consultation - Update for units of measurement directive
The use of units of measurement is prescribed in the European Union by means of Council Directive 80/181/EEC of 20 December 1979. Last updated in 1999, the Commission services solicited views on a further update of the directive.
- Council Directive 2009/3/EC on Units of measurement [736 KB]
- Legislative Proposal - COM(2007)510 (September 2007)
- Impact Assessment - SEC(2007)1136
- Impact Assessment Summary - SEC(2007)1137
- Report on the public consultation [124 KB] - (June 2007)
- Commission services working document [65 KB] - (December 2006)
Community legislation in force:
- Council Directive 80/181/EEC of 20 December 1979 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to units of measurement and on the repeal of Directive 71/354/EEC.