For wine and alcohol the EU prescribes the sizes of pre-packed products allowed.
- Pack sizes (nominal quantities of pre-packaged products)
PRE-PACKAGING: COMMISSION WISHES TO IMPROVE GUIDANCE
In 2005 the Directorate-General for Enterprise and Industry held a public consultation on packaging via internet with consumers, producers, retailers and authorities. Stakeholders were asked to give their views on alternatives for the existing Community legislation on labelling of quantities and the metrological requirements for pre-packages on the basis of a Commission staff working paper setting out the key issues.
Close to 500 comments and views were received from authorities, trade federations, consumer organisations and individual consumers and companies. The results were examined with public authorities in a meeting on 19/20 May 2005 of Working Group 6 of WELMEC, the Western European Legal Metrology Cooperation.
In the report based on the consultation, Commission services suggest that regulatory changes at Community level are not needed and that most issues identified can be dealt with by voluntary documents and guidance.
The Commission services will proceed with stakeholders to inventory and analyse issues and to develop further guidance.
- Report on Public Consultation [122 KB]
- Metrological Requirements of Prepackages - Working document [296 KB]
- Business Impact Analysis on conformity assessment in pre-packages [2 MB]
- Directive 76/211/EEC of 20 January 1976 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the making-up by weight or by volume of certain pre-packaged products (76/211/EEC).
- Directive 75/107/EEC of 19 December 1974 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to bottles used as measuring containers.