Simplification of 8 legal metrology directives
Directive 2011/17/EU repeals 8 'old approach' directives on the topics listed here. It allows for a 10-year transitional period.
From 1 December 2015
- Cold water meters for non-clean water
- Alcohol meters and alcohol tables
- Medium and above-medium accuracy weights
- Tyre pressure gauges for motor vehicles
- Standard mass of grain
From 1 July 2011
- Calibration of ship tanks
Public consultation and impact assessment
A public consultation concluded there were no barriers to trade in the 6 areas concerned. This was confirmed by an impact assessment.
If needed, EU Member States can reference existing international standards as a basis for regulation in these areas, applying the principle of mutual recognition.
- Council Directive 86/217/EEC - tyre pressure gauges for motor vehicles
- Council Directive 76/766/EEC - alcohol tables
- Council Directive 76/765/EEC - alcohol meters and alcohol hydrometers
- Council Directive 75/33/EEC - cold-water meters
- Council Directive 74/148/EEC - weights of above-medium accuracy weighing between 1 mg to 50 kg
- Council Directive 71/349/EEC - calibrating vessel tanks
- Council Directive 71/347/EEC - measuring the standard mass per storage volume of grain
- Council Directive 71/317/EEC - 5-50 kg medium accuracy cylindrical weights