Platform on Ethics & Transparency
The platform on Ethics was one of the three work areas of the Process on Corporate Responsibility in the field of Pharmaceuticals. The Platform was based on volunteer participation and dedicated to enhancing collaboration among interested member states and all relevant stakeholders with the main objective to propose some basic principles with regards ethics and transparency in the pharmaceutical sector.
Scope of the initiative
The Platform brought together all relevant stakeholders to openly discuss a joint set of ethical and transparency principles and recommendations, based on voluntary cooperation. The result of such an endeavour is a List of Guiding Principles governing the interactions between healthcare professionals and patients’ organisations, competent authorities, and the pharmaceutical industry. The List of Guiding Principles elaborated under this platform made use of the expertise of multiple stakeholders and public administrations in a combined effort, under the coordination and with the political support of the European Commission.
The platform was chaired by the Directorate General for Enterprise and Industry of the European Commission.
The EU Member States and EFTA countries (European Free Trade Association) have been invited to nominate representatives from their relevant competent authorities in the field of pharmaceuticals.
The following stakeholders’ organisations have been invited to participate:
Bureau Européen des Unions de Consommateurs - BEUC
- Standing Committee of European Doctors - CPME
- Pharmaceutical Group of the European Union – PGEU
- European Hospital and Healthcare Federation - HOPE
- Association Internationale de la Mutualité - AIM
- European Social Insurance Platform – ESIP
- European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries & Associations - EFPIA
- European Generic medicines Association - EGA
- European Self-Medication Industry – AESGP
- European Association for Bioindustries – EuropaBio
- European Association of Full-Line Wholesalers – GIRP
- European Union of Medical Specialists – UEMS
- European Patients’ Forum – EPF
The role of the Steering Group, chaired by the Commission, was to generate momentum and to ensure an effective development of the platform. The Steering Group was composed of representatives of the national competent authorities responsible for pricing and reimbursement of pharmaceuticals and of representatives of the above stakeholders. Meetings of the Steering Group were organised in close collaboration with each ongoing Presidency of the EU.