Harmonised European Standards
Harmonised European Standards provide a solid technical basis for manufacturers for testing the performance of their products.
Using these standards the manufacturer will be in position to make the declaration of performance (DoP) of his product as defined in the Construction Products Regulation (CPR) and to affix the CE marking.
The harmonised European standards on construction products together with the relevant horizontal standards on assessment methods for:
- resistance on fire, reaction to fire, external fire performance, noise absorption,
- construction products in contact with drinking water,
- release of dangerous substances into indoor air, soil and (ground)water,
create a common European technical language to be used by all actors in the construction sector to:
- express requirements (regulatory authorities in Member States),
- declare the product performance (manufacturers),
- verify compliance with such requirements (design engineers, contractors).
Harmonised European standards on construction products have been elaborated by technical experts working in the framework of the European Standardisation Organisations (CEN/CENELEC). The Technical Committees of CEN and CENELEC are now working to complete the necessary set of harmonised European standards (hENs) and to further ameliorate the existing ones.