Framework Programme 7
Space sector considered strategic as it impacts directly on the implementation of policy goals.
The space sector has a direct impact on the following policy goals:
- to ensure sustainable development, (e.g. by monitoring Kyoto protocol measures and action taken following the Johannesburg Summit)
- to support common foreign and security policy (e.g. via border checks, conflict prevention and crisis management)
- to implement the Lisbon Strategy for increased economic growth and job creation (e.g. through greater opportunities for space-related industries, improved access to space-based services, such as - GMES).
Space research budget
Direct support from the EU in the field of space should act as an incentive to exert leverage on other public players, as well as on the private sector. This should encourage them to intensify their investments. Sustaining a competitive industry and providing appropriate services and infrastructures requires new research into new technologies and their exploitation.
A budget of €1.4 billion has been earmarked for the space theme in the Seventh Framework Programme (FP-7). From this amount, 85% will go to GMES and the remaining 15% will be used for activities in the space foundations field.
The work programme follows the direct recommendations of the following bodies: the GMES advisory council of EU countries, the space advisory group, and user implementation groups for the GMES fast-track services. All these bodies are instrumental in providing guidance to the Commission regarding the annual update of the work programme and the identification of emerging needs. A number of GMES services will contribute to the goal to achieve operational and autonomous European capabilities as expressed at the June 2001 Gothenburg summit and in a subsequent Council resolution.
In its November 2005 communication, the Commission underlined its intention to move from concept to reality in supporting a variety of EU policies with geospatial information through GMES, and it outlined the roles and responsibilities of EU institutions, the European Space Agency (ESA) and EU countries.
The EU will define the priorities and requirements, aggregate the political will and user demand, and ensure the availability and continuity of services. The ESA, its members and co-operating states will develop space technologies and systems in the scope of the European Space Policy, and will, in particular, support and define the technical specifications of the GMES space component, implement it, coordinating centres of excellence across Europe.
These parties will also advise the EU on future space component requirements. Given these roles and responsibilities, the ESA should manage the development of those space infrastructures which are identified for support under FP7, in accordance with the rules of this programme, integrating these activities with its own in this area. For this task and the procurement of space data, the ESA will receive a specific grant from the FP7 space GMES budget (about €700 million).
Support will be given under FP7 to projects designed to strengthen the space foundations - space science and technology. The purpose will be to encourage the development of new concepts in space transportation and space technologies, as well as to reduce the vulnerability of space-based systems and services.
New practical guide to EU funding opportunities for Research and Innovation
The purpose of this new Guide [2 MB], and particularly the checklist and scorecard tools, is to simplify access to the relevant information on funding according to the needs of the potential beneficiary. The document provides potential recipients of EU funding for Research and innovation with the practical information they need to access this funding. It also provides decision-makers with a full picture of all the funding opportunities available until 2013.
The complexity of the present landscape has led the European Commission to propose to bring together the full range of Research and innovation financing instruments within a Common Strategic Framework under the future Multi-annual Financial Framework. With a common set of simplified rules and procedures and a single set of funding instruments, it offers the potential to make EU funding more effective and increase its impact, while making it easier to access for participants to swiftly move forward with the implementation of the "Europe 2020" strategy.
The updated Guide [2 MB] includes a full up-to-date picture of the three sources of funding described in the initial Guide (FP7, CIP and Structural Funds) completed by additional information in the field of Research and innovation.