Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
On this page:
Studies on specific groups of entrepreneurs
- The examination and evaluation of good practices in the promotion of female entrepreneurship (Walter Bornett, Direktor, österreichisches Institut für Gerwerbe- und Handelsforschung, Gußhausstraße 8, A-1040 Vienna, Austria), finished in Spring 2003.
- A study on entrepreneurs: young entrepreneurs, women entrepreneurs, co-entrepreneurs, and entrepreneurs from minorities (Professor David Smallbone, Project Director, Centre for Enterprise and Economic Development Research, Middlesex University Business School, The Burroughs, London NW4 4BT, United Kingdom), finished in 2000.
Studies concerning crafts businesses
- 23 good practices to promote the participation of craft and SME enterprises in standardisation and the use of standards, (EIM Business & Policy Research, Zoetermeer), October 2006
- In 2004 Mr. Günter Kristian from the Ministry for Economics, Labour and Transport of the German federal State of Lower Saxonia (Niedersachsen) has published an analytical comparison of craft chambers in the enlarged EU-25 [6 MB] . The study was sponsored by the German Confederation of Skilled Crafts and SMEs (ZDH): "Handwerkskammern in Europa - ein Organisationsvergleich".
- A survey designed to identify organisations (networks) as well as know-how and knowledge transmission methods in rare craft trades - "Promoting creation and development of sustainable employment in the rare crafts sector"
(Société d'encouragement aux métiers d'art - SEMA, Viaduc des Arts, 23, avenue Daumesnil, F-75012 Paris, France), finished in 2000.
- In an attempt to generate data on small craft enterprises, the Commission had in 2000 contracted a study. It was done in two phases: (1) drawing up one or more operational definitions of small craft businesses, particularly on the basis of existing legal and/or economic definitions; (2) identifying existing sources of statistical information in the Member States that correspond to these definitions.
Studies addressing specific problems of small businesses to make full use of the European Internal Market
- A study on "Good practices on social protection of new entrepreneurs and assisting partners and the impact on business creation" EIM Business and Policy Research, PO Box 7001, NL-2700 AA Zoetermeer, Netherlands) finished in May 2007.
- A study on Alternative Dispute Resolution Systems, and a brochure, launched end December 2004 (Dr. Yvonne Prince, Director, EIM Business and Policy Research, PO Box 7001, NL-2700 AA Zoetermeer, Netherlands) finished in 2006.
- A , launched in January 2004 (M. Claude Peyrebonne, A.E.T.S. - Application Européenne de Technologies et de Services, Induspal Lons - BP 202, Avenue Marie-André Ampère, F-64142 Billere, France, e-mail: email@example.com). Executive summary [411 KB] [891 KB]
- A study on external support services for micro, small and sole proprietor's businesses
(Christian Lettmayr, Direktor, Österreichisches Institut für Gerwerbe-und Handelsforschung, Gußhausstraße 8, A-1040 Vienna, Austria), finished in 2002.