During the First EU-Brazil Summit held in Lisbon on 4 July 2007, the EU agreed to build a Strategic Partnership with Brazil. A Joint Action Plan (JAP) was endorsed during the Second EU-Brazil Summit in Rio de Janeiro on 22 December 2008.
The JAP provides an opportunity to establish a bilateral dialogue with Brazil on regulatory frameworks. Since Brazil is the largest country of the Mercosul region, advances in this area would serve to facilitate future progress on regulatory frameworks between the EU and Mercosul, in the event that Mercosul moves towards the adoption of common rules and standards.
A stronger dialogue with Brazil can achieve a double result: improve the conditions for investment and trade in our economic interest, and facilitate EU-Mercosul dialogue and negotiations.
A revised JAP was adopted at the Fifth EU-Brazil Summit on 4th October 2011 and covers the period 2011-2014.
EU-Brazil Business Summits
The JAP also foresees the regular organization of EU-Brazil Business Summits, with the involvement of SMEs, with a view to reinforcing business to government dialogue. So far seven Business Summits have taken place.
- On 4 July 2007, the First EU-Brazil Business Summit was organized in Lisbon by the Portuguese Industrial Association – Business Confederation (AIP-CE) and the Confederation of Portuguese Industry (CIP) in co-operation with the Brazilian National Confederation of Industry (CNI) and Business Europe, back-to-back with the First EU-Brazil Summit .
- The Second EU-Brazil Business Summit [227 KB] , entitled "EU-Brazil Partnership: challenges and opportunities for the next years", took place in Rio de Janeiro on 22 December 2008, back-to-back with the Second EU-Brazil Summit .
- The Third EU-Brazil Business Summit [56 KB] entitled "Building cooperation for the post-crisis world" took place in Stockholm on 6 October 2009 in parallel with the Third EU-Brazil Summit .
- The Fourth EU-Brazil Business Summit [495 KB] , "EU-Brazil Partnership: cooperation strategies for enhancing bilateral business", was held in Brazil on 14 July 2010 back-to-back with the Fourth EU-Brazil Summit [59 KB] .
- The Fifth EU-Brazil Business Summit [226 KB] took place in Brussels on 4th October 2011 back-to-back to the Fifth EU-Brazil Summit [221 KB] .
- The Sixth EU-Brazil Business Summit [667 KB] took place in Brasilia on 23rd January 2013 the day before the Sixth EU-Brazil Summit [109 KB] which took place in Brasilia on on 24th January 2013.
- The Seventh EU-Brazil Business Summit took place in Brussels on 24 February 2014 back to back to the Seventh EU-Brazil Summit.
EU-Brazil Regulatory and Industrial Policy Dialogues
Pilot sectoral industrial and regulatory dialogues have been created to complement the relevant EU-Mercosul discussions. They cover: textiles and clothing, forest-based industries, steel, non-ferrous metals and minerals. Terms of Reference for these Dialogues [250 KB] were officially signed on 14 September 2009 and first meetings were successful.