Clusters are powerful engines of economic development and drivers of innovation in the European Union. They provide a fertile business environment for companies, especially SMEs, to collaborate with research institutions, suppliers, customers and competitors located in the same geographical area.
The EU does not lack clusters, but needs more world-class excellence. That is why the Commission's Communication entitled "Towards world-class clusters in the European Union: Implementing the broad-based innovation strategy [54 KB] " outlined a policy framework for action aiming to raise the level of excellence and openness of clusters. Besides efforts to improve the framework conditions, this includes:
- establishing a high-level European Cluster Policy Group to explore ways on how to best assist EU countries in supporting clusters
- expanding the policy dialogue under the European Cluster Alliance
- fostering transnational cooperation between cluster organisations
- promoting excellence of cluster organisations
- further developing the European Cluster Observatory into a full-fledged information service on clusters for enterprises and thereby improving the integration of innovative SMEs into clusters.