The Path to Growth: Achieving Excellence in Business Friendly Public Administration
The quality of public administration is an important driver of Europe’s competitiveness. The Europe 2020 strategy – the EU's growth strategy for this decade - stresses that competitiveness is the result of the interplay of diverse factors, and within that context it emphasises the importance of an efficient, effective and transparent public administration. Modernising public administration is a key issue to restoring competitiveness in a number of Member States. As such, the Commission is highlighting its importance in the Annual Growth Survey and in recommendations addressed by the European Council to specific Member States.
Aim of conference
The aim of the conference is to identify key difficulties experienced by businesses in dealing with public administrations, to exchange ideas and experiences of how such difficulties can be overcome, and to showcase concrete achievements and best practice in public administrations amongst Member States. It should encourage an exchange of fresh and innovative thinking in reforming public administrations.
The main conclusions from the Conference will assist the Commission and Member States in developing further the policy guidance for modernising public administrations in the framework of the European semester.
The Conference will bring together high-level European and international policy-makers, including President Barroso and Vice-President Tajani, Ministers from various Member States, industry leaders and stakeholders as well as renowned academics and policy advisers to debate the challenges and opportunities facing European public administrations, as well as the necessary policy responses at EU and national level.
- Conference Highlights [870 KB]
- Agenda [450 KB]
- Mr Antonio Tajani; Vice President - European commission - Opening speech [77 KB]; Slides [401 KB]
- Mr José Manuel Durão Barroso; European Commission - Public sector innovation
- Mr Maroš ŠEFČOVIČ; European Commission - The Path to Growth
Workshop 1: Reducing administrative burdens and improving regulatory quality:
- Ms Mierta Capaul; World Bank Group - Slides [1 MB]
- Mr Ladislav Prudky; Ministry of Industry and Trade, Czech Republic - Slides [768 KB]
Workshop 2: Fully exploiting the potential of ICT in building smart and innovative Government
- Ms Joana Malczewska; Representative of the Minister for development of digital competence in public administration, Poland - Slides [125 KB]
- Ms Irina Socol; CEO SIVECO in Romania - Slides [783 KB]
- Mr Margus Mägi; Centre of Registries and Information Systems, Estonia - Slides [1MB]
Workshop 3: Promoting strategic management in Government
- Dr Marga Pröhl; EIPA, Netherlands - Slides [490 KB]
- Mr Filippo Cavassini; OECD - Slides [839 KB]
- Mr Pekka Lindroos; Prime Minister's Office, Finland - Slides [462 KB]
- Mr Antti Peltomäki - European Commission - Speaking note [296 KB]
Pictures (view gallery)