Bio-based product markets
The aim of the task force for bio-based products is to facilitate the market uptake of bio-based products. It will build on existing structures (notably from the Lead Market Initiative). Demand-side aspects will be addressed, which will include standardisation, labelling, public procurement, and awareness rising.
A sound regulatory framework is of vital importance. At policy level, the task force should contribute to the on-going supply of sustainable (predominantly EU-grown) biomass for bio-refinery operations and generate general recognition of the smart and cascading use of biomass at EU level and work on end-of-waste criteria.
The task force will also contribute to the implementation of Public-Private Partnerships (SPIRE (Sustainable Process Industry through Resource and energy Efficiency) and BBI (Bio-Based and Renewable Industries for Development and Growth in Europe) Joint Undertaking.
- The Commission Expert Group for Bio-Based Products was established in June 2013.
- Contribution to the set-up and work of the Bio-economy Panel (lead: Directorate-general for Research and innovation (DG RTD))
Set-up in April 2013 (2 Panel meetings per year)
- Contribution to Joint Research Center (JRC) report on market data for bio-based products manufacturing
JRC Report was completed in February 2013
- Contribution to the set-up and work of the European Bio-economy Information System and Observatory (as part of the Bio-economy Strategy)
Contract - May 2013
- Development of Standards Completion of technical work on "terminology" and "bio-based content" - March 2013
- Task force leader: Reinhard Buescher (Head Of Unit, Directorate-General for Enterprise and Industry, Unit F2)
Other contact points: Achim Boenke (Directorate-General for Enterprise and Industry Unit F2), Hilda Juhasz (Directorate-General for Enterprise and Industry Unit F4)