Industrial Policy Communication 2012
On 10 October 2012 the Commission adopted an Update of the Industrial Policy flagship initiative – "A Stronger European Industry for Growth and Economic Recovery".
The Communication, in order to favour a recovery of industrial investments and a reversal of manufacturing's share in EU GDP, launches a new partnership between the EU, Member States and industry and focuses on four pillars:
- Investments in innovation, with a focus on six priority areas with great potential (advances manufacturing technologies for clean production; key enabling technologies; bio-based products; sustainable industrial and construction policy and raw materials; clean vehicles and vessels; smart grids).
- Better market conditions, both in the Internal Market, with special reference to goods, entrepreneurship and Intellectual Property Rights protection, and in international markets.
- Access to finance and capitals, by a better mobilising and targeting of public resources, including from the EIB, and by unlocking private funds.
- Human capital and skills, to promote job creation and better anticipation of, and investments in, the skills needed to promote industry's competitiveness.
The Communication is accompanied by a Staff Working Document which presents progress made in the implementation of the 2020 flagship initiative and includes evidence on the current situation and performance of EU industry that underpins the importance of the four pillars of the Communication.
The policy approach outlined in the 2012 Communication has been fully endorsed by the new Commission Communication "For a European Industrial Renaissance”, adopted on 22 January 2014. More information on the 2014 Communication.
- Industrial Policy Communication 2012
- Staff Working Document
- Press release
- Press memo
- Slides from technical briefing [938 KB]
- Vice President Tajani's Presentation of the New Industrial Policy Communication [553 KB]
- Public consultation on Industrial Policy
For questions or comments please contact us at ENTR-IND-COMPETITIV-POL-FOR-GROWTH@ec.europa.eu