High Level Conference on the Future of the European defence sector: Setting the Agenda for the European Defence Industry Published on: 07/01/2014, Last update: 12/06/2015
Hotel Le Plaza
Boulevard Adolphe Max 118-126 - 1000 Brussels - (Belgium)
|Add to your calendar|
Vice President Tajani and Commissioner Barnier co-hosted a High-level Conference on the implementation of the Commission's Communication "Towards a more competitive and efficient defence and security sector".
The Conference was a very useful exchange of views with the industry as a follow-up of the European Council Conclusions adopted in December 2013. The Commission gathered the reactions from stakeholders and their ideas on where the Commission could best add value to European-level action to increase competitiveness of defence industry, strengthen the internal market and reinforce research and innovation.
The Commission will use this feedback to decide how to ensure that the defence sector, which is a pioneer in innovation and makes a significant contribution to the wider economy, continues to deliver world-class technologies and products in support of the EU's Common Security and Defence Policy. The four working sessions, which focused on different aspects of this contribution, ranging from industrial policy and the Single Market to SME policy tools and Research and Innovation, have already provided a valuable input for shaping the implementation roadmap published in June 2014.
The Conference included different perspectives on the future of the European defence industry and market, as well as participants from the entire defence sector, including the participation of high level speakers:
- Mr Jose Manuel Barroso, President of the European Commission
- Mr Dimitrios Avramopoulos, Minister of Defence of Greece
- Mr Philip Dunne, Minister of Defence Equipment and Exports of the United Kingdom
- Mr Michael Gahler, Member of the European Parliament
- Mr Daniele Romiti, CEO of AgustaWestland
- Mr Bernhard Gerwert, CEO of Airbus Military
- Mr Halan Buskhe, CEO of SAAB
- Mrs Claude-France Arnould, Chief Executive of the European Defence Agency
- Mr Antonio Missiroli, Director of the EU Institute for Security Studies
The audience included representatives of the Member States (including EEA members), the European Parliament, the industry, the Committee of the Regions/ECOSOC, the regions, the NATO, journalists and think tanks.
Videos of the event
All videos are available in English, French, German, Spanish and Italian.
- Addressing speech by President Barroso
- EU Presidency address by Greek Minister Avramopoulos
- 1st panel - Promoting a more competitive defence industry
- 2nd panel - Creating a genuine internal market for defence
- 3rd panel - SMEs and fostering regional co-operation
- 4th panel - Generating innovation in a time of austerity
Programme and list of participants: below the photo gallery