The European Union has set itself the ambitious target of reducing the administrative burden on businesses by a quarter, while preserving the effectiveness of European legislation in achieving its goals, such as protecting the public and ensuring fair competition. Issue six of the Enterprise & Industry magazine explores a recent progress report which reveals that the EU is well on track to meet this target by 2012. European Commission Vice-President Günter Verheugen speaks about the main achievements in this area during his five years in office.
Other articles in this edition look at how the EU’s innovative and entrepreneurial capacity can be boosted through:
• More female entrepreneurship
• Key enabling technologies, such as nano- and biotech
• Business-support services, such as the ones offered by the Enterprise Europe Network
• Simplifying the free movement of goods across the single market
• Helping the European shipbuilding industry weather the economic storm
The Enterprise & Industry magazine provides a regular update on the work of the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Enterprise and Industry. The printed edition – available in English, French and German – complements our on-line magazine.