- Enterprise & Industry magazine.
Innovation will be critical in helping Europe’s economy recover from the crisis. As the European Commission updates its innovation policy, Commission Vice-President Günter Verheugen has given an interview in which he looks at the EU’s initiatives to foster innovation during his five-year mandate in charge of enterprise and industry policy. Part of a feature on innovation in the fifth edition of the Enterprise & Industry magazine, published in September, the interview is complemented by an article on the launch of new public-procurement networks, part of the Lead Market Initiative which aims to speed up the uptake of innovation. We also report on this year’s Inventor of the Year Awards, a joint EU-European Patent Office initiative to recognise the creative achievements of inventors.
The Enterprise & Industry magazine provides a regular update on the work of the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Enterprise and Industry in making the European Union a better place for business. The printed edition complements our on-line magazine.
Other articles in this edition look at:
- Updated rules to ensure European children have the safest possible toys;
- Proposed legislation to reduce the problems faced by small enterprises due to their customers paying them late;
- Progress in implementing the European Commission’s Better Regulation initiative;
- Results of the latest European Enterprise Awards, which reward regions for their efforts to improve their business-friendliness;
- A new campaign to encourage young people to consider starting businesses with social and environmental goals behind them – responsible entrepreneurship; and Implementation of the ‘think small first’ principle.