Construction companies wishing to expand their business to another EU Member State need to know the challenges they might face. Employment, environmental and safety requirements may differ, quite like those for construction materials and products. The European Commission has launched several initiatives to help enterprises overcome these difficulties, equipping construction companies with the information they need to be successful in other EU countries. Full story
China-Europe: Information on standards and market requirements
The Europe-China Standards Information Platform, or CESIP, provides valuable, bi-lingual information to Chinese and European businesses on everything from technical regulations to market access requirements. Launched last October, CESIP has details on thousands of standards and offers a progressive way to enhance collaboration and spur economic growth.
The Europe-China Standards Information Platform, or CESIP, is a one-stop-shop for market access information to help businesses internationalise and ultimately strengthen trade between European and Chinese small and medium-sized enterprises, or SMEs. Different sets of technical regulations, divergent standards and different market access requirements create barriers to trade between China and Europe. To overcome this problem, the new CESIP platform provides detailed information about European and Chinese standards and market access requirements. CESIP currently covers three sectors: machinery, electrical appliances and medical devices. Five new sectors will follow soon: textiles, toys, aerosol cans, packaging and energy efficiency of buildings.
Mr Daniel Calleja, Director-General of European Commission DG Enterprise and Industry, and Mr Cheng Gang, Administrator of the Standardisation Administration of China, or SAC, launched CESIP in Beijing on 24 October 2012.
CESIP provides a bird's-eye view of the different national approaches, detailed guides to different product groups and references to standards used for compliance certification schemes. CESIP's objective is to make market access information readily accessible and eliminate the need for SMEs to make time-intensive searches for information.
CESIP is unique compared to other web-based information sources:
- It is the first time that market access information covers Chinese industry standards — highly important for compliance assessment but extremely difficult to identify.
- Market access information is structured according to product groups.
- All information is bilingual, in English and Mandarin, and regularly updated.
- A feedback function sends users' suggestions to the CESIP team.
Some key data
- CESIP provides — free of charge — market access information for electrical equipment, medical devices, machinery and environmental protection.
- More than 4 500 European Standards, 3 000 Chinese National Standards and 16 000 Chinese Industry Sector Standards are referenced. Transparent classification by international product codes (ICS) helps SMEs easily identify standards relevant for their business sector.
The respective standards are made available thanks to close co-operation between the European (CEN, CENELEC) and Chinese Standardisation (SAC) Organisations.
The text only of the articles can be republished as long as the source of the article is quoted: Enterprise & Industry magazine (http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/magazine/index_en.htm), © European Union, 2008 - 2012