The TAIEX mandate to provide assistance covers the following groups of beneficiary countries:
- Croatia (new Member State – still benefitting from assistance programmed);
- Turkey, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia; Montenegro, Serbia, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kosovo*;
- Turkish Cypriot community in the northern part of Cyprus;
- Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Egypt, Georgia, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia and Ukraine.
The beneficiaries of TAIEX assistance include those sectors who have a role to play in the beneficiary countries in the transposition, implementation and enforcement of EU legislation or in the case of the ENPI countries, in deepening economic and political cooperation by sharing the experience gained during the enlargement process. The main target groups are:
- Civil servants working in public administrations at national level
- The Judiciary and Law Enforcement authorities;
- Parliaments and civil servants working in Parliaments and Legislative Councils;
- Representatives of social partners, trade unions and employers’ associations;
TAIEX does not provide direct support to civil society, private citizens, or to individual companies.
*This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244/99 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.