László Andor was recently appointed European Commissioner for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion. His first trip to a Member State in his new functions was for the national launch of the 2010 European Year in France.
Touteleurope.fr asked him questions about poverty and social exclusion in Europe:
- What is the goal of the European Year for combating poverty and exclusion?
- What can the European Union do concretely to combat poverty? Is this not the role of national Governments?
- One of your aims to combat poverty by creating jobs, how do you propose to do this in midst of the economic crisis?
- On the issue of exclusion, what measures could be taken for the Roma people?
- Do you think it will be possible to have an agreement on the working time directive?
- Will the second Barroso Commission be more socially orientated?
Watch the interview