Republic of Cyprus
Information about studying in the Republic of Cyprus
For the essential information about studying in the Republic of Cyprus and applying for higher education programmes, visit the Cyprus Ministry of Education and Culture website or see the Higher education in Cyprus booklet.
Cyprus Erasmus Student network:
- Population: 848,319 (2016)
- Capital: Nicosia
- Geographical size: 9,251 km2
- GDP: € 17.901 billion (2016)
- Official EU language(s): Greek
- Currency: Euro
Find out more
Higher education in the Republic of Cyprus
- Structure of the education system
- Cyprus Qualifications framework
- Student visas and immigration
- Scholarships and financial support: For information, please visit the university websites listed below
- Number of higher education institutions: 40
- Number of students in higher education: 31,772 (2012, Euromonitor International from national statistics/UNESCO)
- Number of international students in higher education: 7,454 (2012, UNESCO)
- Language of instruction: Most higher education programmes in state universities are taught in Greek language but you will find many programmes taught in English too. Private universities and higher education institutions (HEIs) offer programmes mostly in English language.
- Typical tuition fees: Generally, students at state universities and HEIs do not pay tuition fees.
In private sector universities and HEIs, students typically pay fees as follows:
- Tuition fee for EU-students: about 8000 Euro per year
- Tuition fee for non EU-students: about 9000 Euro per year
For more information, please see the university websites listed below.
- Average length of a full-time higher education programme in Cyprus:
- Bachelor's degree programme: 4 years
- Master's degree programme: 2 years
- Doctorate/PhD: 3 years
Situated in the north-east of the Mediterranean, the Republic of Cyprus is the meeting point for Europe, Asia and Africa and has a rich culture and history.
With golden beaches and green forests, the environment here is one of the healthiest in the world, with fresh air and low pollution. The country is also a very safe place by global standards, with low levels of crime.
the Republic of Cyprus enjoys a Mediterranean climate. Apart from the light rainy season between November and March, the Republic of Cyprus is sunny nearly all the time. Average temperatures range from 8oC (42oF), during the coldest month of December, to 35oC (96oF) in August.
The weather, however, is not the only attractive feature of the island. Cypriot people are famous for the warm and friendly welcome they extend to visitors.
In May 2004, the Republic of Cyprus became a member of the European Union. As a leading business and financial centre, the island has particular strengths in tourism, consultancy, shipping, telecommunications, banking and insurance.
Because the Republic of Cyprus provides an ideal setting for higher education, it is no wonder that it has become a major international education centre, attracting students from all over the world. This cultural diversity makes it a forum for international understanding.
Higher Education in the Republic of Cyprus
Government policy aims to establish the Republic of Cyprus as a hub for international students. The higher education system in the Republic of Cyprus is shaped by the European Higher Education Area, as outlined by the Bologna Process.
The main universities and higher education institutions in the Republic of Cyprus are as follows:
- European University – Cyprus (BA, MA, PhD)
- Frederick University – Cyprus (BA, MA, PhD)
- University of Nicosia – Cyprus (BA, MA, PhD)
- Neapolis University – Pafos (BA, MA, PhD)
- University of Central Lancashire – Cyprus (BA, MA, PhD)
- The Cyprus International Institute of Management (BA, MA)
Institutions that offer Master and PhD programmes only
Find out more and apply
The Cyprus agency of Quality and Accreditation in Higher education is the competent Authority responsible for ensuring the quality of higher education in Cyprus and for the support the processes provided by the relevant Legislation, for the continuous improvement and upgrading of higher education institutions and their programs of study. Visit their website if you want to know more about certain study programmes.
For the essential information about studying in Cyprus and applying for higher education programmes, visit the Cyprus Ministry of Education and Culture website or see the Higher education in Cyprus booklet.