What is it about?
Launched in 2012, this is the EU's initiative for cooperation in education with Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Kosovo, Montenegro and Serbia.
The Director-General of EAC Chairs the annual Ministerial meetings which identify common priorities, discuss latest policy and reform measures and decide on topics for regional cooperation with EU assistance.
Why is it needed?
Although the countries in the region are committed to voluntarily converge with EU and international standards, the implementation of new policies and reforms is difficult. Each country is at a different stage and with limited resources they requested assistance.
The Platform encourages regional cooperation and communication, sharing of good practices in the region and the EU and pooling of resources. It also provides follow-up in terms of joint projects, studies and events.
The longer term perspective of the policy dialogue is to assist the Western Balkans with their reform efforts and prepare them for EU Membership responsibilities including full participation in the EU's education programmes.
What has been done so far?
To date, the platform has resulted in a number of outputs, including:
- Activities including:
- Regional conference on higher education, 20-21 November 2012
- Study on teacher training in the Western Balkans
- Regional seminar on teacher training, 19-20 November 2013
- Regional conference on Erasmus+, 17-18 January 2014
- Regional conference on the role and impact of EU higher education programmes, 30-31 October 2014
- Erasmus+ Contact Seminar with the Western Balkans, 17-18 December 2015
- Study on higher education provision and labour market opportunities in the Western Balkans
- A database of higher education provision in the Western Balkans
- First structured dialogue on a Western Balkans Regional Alumni Association, 3-4 November 2016
- 1st Meeting of the Western Balkans Alumni Association (WBAA) with the Erasmus+ Student & Alumni Association (ESAA), 27 March 2017, Brussels
- 2nd dialogue on a Western Balkans Alumni Association (WBAA) & 2nd WBAA – ESAA cooperation meeting, 3-4 August 2017, Brussels
- Kick-off meeting of Western Balkans Alumni Association (WBAA), 15-17 March 2018