Navigation path

Cooperation outside the EU

What is it?

European higher education institutions and individuals can work with partner institutions outside the EU through international mobility, joint degrees, and international cooperation partnerships, including capacity building and staff development in emerging and developing parts of the world.

What is it for?

Learning mobility and capacity building projects can improve skills, modernise higher education systems and institutions, and create better partnerships between the EU and education systems across the world. Opportunities given through Erasmus+, such as the high level Erasmus Mundus scholarships, can contribute to make Europe a more attractive study destination.

What are the opportunities for cooperation with partners outside the EU?

Non-EU partner countries can also participate in the following actions mainly targeted at programme country institutions, under the condition of bringing a specific added value to the project:

Who can take part?

Higher education institutions in Programme Countries may apply. Master's students and doctoral candidates may apply individually for the joint master and doctoral programmes. Students and staff at institutions which have an inter-institutional agreement for mobility with partner institutions may apply to their own international office.

Info and contact

Institutions from Programme countries can contact their National Agency for more information on student and staff mobility and Strategic Partnerships and the EACEA for Joint Master Degrees, Capacity building, and Knowledge Alliances

Institution from a Partner country can contact their European partner institutions for more information on student and staff mobility, Strategic Partnerships and Knowledge Alliances, and the EACEA for capacity building projects and Joint Master Degrees.

Students can apply for a scholarship to attend a high-level joint master's or doctoral programme; they should select a course on the EACEA website and apply directly to the consortium.

Students or staff can benefit from a grant for international mobility if their institution has an inter-institutional agreement for international mobility with a partner institution. More information on the EU's budgetary priorities in this area are available in the note on international credit mobilitypdf(312 kB).


How can we help?