HEInnovate enables institutions to assess their performance in seven areas: leadership and governance, organisational capacity, teaching and learning, pathways for entrepreneurs, university-business exchange, the internationalised institution, and impact measurement.
"Entrepreneurial skills and mind-sets are more important than ever in today's global markets. That applies as much to universities as enterprises. I am confident that this new initiative will encourage European higher education institutions to become more entrepreneurial and open to opportunities," said Androulla Vassilliou, European Commissioner for Education, Culture, Multilingualism and Youth.
Under each of the seven assessment areas, the institutions are invited to score themselves from 0-10 in response to statements such as:
- Entrepreneurship is a major part of the university strategy
- The university is open to recruiting and engaging with individuals who have entrepreneurial attitudes, behaviors and experience
- The university validates entrepreneurship learning outcomes
- Business start-up education is offered across the curricula and faculties
- The university facilitates access to private financing for its potential entrepreneurs
- The university has strong links with incubators and science parks
The website then generates results for the institution, highlighting areas of strength and weakness. It also helps the institution improve its performance by providing links to customised examples of good practice.
HEInnovate is not a benchmarking or ranking tool; all results and data remain the property of the user and will not be kept or stored by the Commission or the OECD. There are no fees or registration costs to use the service.
In 2014, the Commission and the OECD will be holding workshops and events across Europe on how to get the most out of the website.