The Brussels Economic Forum is the EU’s key annual event for high-quality, open discussion of current economic issues, bringing together top European and international policymakers and thinkers, as well as civil society and business leaders.
First held in 2000 to mark the one-year anniversary of the euro’s introduction and now in its 15th year, the forum has established a tradition of lively, informed and inclusive debate in a social atmosphere.
The Brussels Economic Forum is a not-to-be-missed annual event that attracts more than a thousand participants, as well as media representatives from around the world.
Previous speakers at the Forum include:
- José Manuel Barroso, President, European Commission
- Sharon Bowles, MEP, Chair of the Economic and Monetary Affairs Committee, European Parliament
- Werner Hoyer, President, European Investment Bank
- Jean-Claude Juncker, former Prime Minister of Luxembourg, former President of the Eurogroup
- Pascal Lamy, former Director General, World Trade Organization
- Mario Monti, former President of the Council of Ministers of Italy, former European Commissioner
- Pier Carlo Padoan, former OECD Deputy Secretary-General and Chief Economist
- Klaus Regling, Chief Executive Officer, European Financial Stability Facility (EFSF), Managing Director of the European Stability Mechanism (ESM)
- Jean-Claude Trichet, former President, European Central Bank
- Herman Van Rompuy, President of the European Council
- Current and former European Commissioners, including Joaquín Almunia, Connie Hedegaard and Danuta Hübner
- Current and former ministers of finance, including Anders Borg (Sweden), Wouter Bos (The Netherlands), Didier Reynders (Belgium), Elena Salgado (Spain), Peer Steinbrück (Germany) and Wolfgang Schäuble (Germany)
- Current and former central bankers, including Marek Belka (Poland), Stefan Ingves (Sweden), Erkki Liikanen (Finland), Ewald Nowotny (Austria) and András Simor (Hungary)
- Leading economists, including Philippe Aghion, Alberto Alesina, Anders Åslund, Tony Atkinson, Richard Baldwin, Benjamin Friedman, Dieter Helm, Deepak Neyyar, Jean Pisani-Ferry, Jeremy Rifkin, André Sapir, Beatrice Weder di Mauro, Charles Wyplosz and John Zysman
To know more about topics discussed at past editions of the Forum, please visit: