Humanitarian partners: introduction
ECHO does not intervene directly on the ground. The assistance it provides is mainly mobilised and implemented by its partners, along ECHO's general strategic guidelines.
Working hand in hand
ECHO works with about 200 non-governmental organisations, United Nations agencies and international organisations such as the International Committee of the Red Cross and the International Federation of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent Societies
Having a diverse range of partners is important for ECHO because this allows for comprehensive coverage of an ever-growing list of needs in different parts of the world - and in increasingly complex situations. ECHO has developed increasingly close working relationships with its partners at the level of both policy issues and management of humanitarian operations.
Like every year, ECHO organises a Conference with its partners. You will find below presentations of plenary sessions and workshops for the last three years.
- Video recording: Address by Kristalina Georgieva, European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response
- Transcript of the speech by Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva
- Video recording: Round table "Caught in the Crossfire": Protecting civilians and delivering aid in conflict zones.
Round table introduced and moderated by Claus Sørensen, ECHO Director General
Concluding remarks by Kristalina Georgieva, Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response
- John Ging, Director, Coordination and Response Division of operations, OCHA
- Lt Gen Ton van Osch , Director General, EU Military Staff
- Knut Dörmann, Head of the Legal Division, ICRC
- Greg Ramm, Director of Global Programmes, Save the Children UK
- Workshop 1 - "Into the breach": Boosting capacity of delivery in difficult operational environments
Rapporteur: Graham MacKay, Dept Humanitarian Director, Oxfam UK
- Workshop 2 - "Out of the box": Disaster trends and innovative responses
Rapporteur: Leon Prop, Director at Red Cross EU Office
- Workshop 3 - "Too many cooks?" - Multiplication of actors and effective Coordination
Rapporteur: Sandrine Chopin, Handicap International
- Plenary – "Up to the challenges: Can we boost efficiency through working in "consortia?"
- Presentation by Harald Happel, Humanitarian Officer, Caritas Europa: Humanitarian Aid needs commitment to humanitarian principles
- Presentation by Mihela Zupancic, ECHO communication unit: The challenges of communicating EU humanitarian aid - video
- Presentation by Steffen Stenberg, ECHO Director of operations: Operational perspectives for 2012: funding and HIPs calendar
- Speech by Dr. Wolf-Dieter Eberwein (VOICE President)
- Agenda -
- Video footage of the speech - A DVD copy of the video footage of the 21/10 morning session is available upon request.
Message from Kristalina Georgieva, European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response
Roundtable on securing the humanitarian space: from principles to action - presentations by panel speakers
- Lead remarks by Valerie Amos, Under-Secretary General - Emergency Relief Coordinator, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
- Elisabeth Rasmusson, Secretary General of Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) -
- Yves Daccord, Director-General of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) -
- Benoit Miribel, President of Action contre la Faim (ACF), Director of Foundation Merieux -
Presentations by DG ECHO
- Increasing effectiveness and efficiency of our partnership - Herman Mosselmans (ECHO/B2) -
- Enhanced response capacity - Henrike Trautmann (ECHO/C2) -
- Reflection on how to strengthen at longer term efficient funding in humanitarian aid - Vijay Bhardwaj (ECHO/B1) -
- Interaction between humanitarian aid and civil protection in emergencies - Hans Das (ECHO/C3) -
- Undernutrition in humanitarian crises - Maureen Philippon (ECHO/A5) -
- DG ECHO operational priorities for 2011 (Directorate A - operations) -
- DG ECHO priorities regarding food assistance and nutrition in 2011 - Jan Artur Sienczewski (ECHO/A5) -
- Mid-term review of the action plan of the consensus on humanitarian aid - Julia Stewart David (ECHO/C1) -
Presentations by partners
- Speech of Wolf-Dieter Eberwein, President of VOICE -
- Access and assistance to beneficiaries in the Colombian context - Carol Byler (Mencoldes) -
- International Disaster Response Law: objectives and challenges - Elise Baudot (IFRC) -
- Beyond cluster coordination on the context of natural disasters - Simon Eccleshall (IFRC), Eelko Brower (NL Red Cross), Matthew Wingate (Save the Children UK), Maurice McQuillan (Trócaire) -
- Challenges and benefits of working in consortia: the example of the Liberia WASH consortium - Chantal Richey (Oxfam GB) - -