Nicaragua – Floods (ECHO, SINAPRED)
- The National Authorities reported that the tropical waves of last week had inundated at least 70% of the Municipality Prinzapolka, in the Northern Autonomous Atlantic Region (RAAN). School classes have been suspended. 21 communities of the territory Prinzu Awala are affected by the floods. Damages to livestock and agricultural production are reported, as well as to infrastructure.
- The tropical waves caused heavy rains last weekend, also in the West and North of Nicaragua which claimed the lives of two people, one in Managua and one in Estelí.
- In the municipality of Matagalpa, 23 km north of Managua, 504 families were affected due to the flooding of their homes. In Managua and Masaya, in total 51 houses were damaged.
Somalia – Threat to lifelines (ECHO)
- Barclays Bank has announced it will stop working with one of the largest Somalia money transfer companies Dahaabshiil. This move threatens one of the lifelines for an estimated 40% of Somalis who depend on these transfers.
Somalia – Kismayo clashes (ECHO)
- Heavy fighting broke out from 28-30 June in Kismayo. At least 50 people were killed and 150 wounded, overwhelming existing medical services.
Mexico – Tropical Cyclone ERICK (GDACS, NOAA, Mexican Civil Protection)
- Tropical Cyclone ERICK-13 formed on 4 July off the SW coast of Mexico.
- On 5 July, 03h00 UTC, TC ERICK-13’s centre was located ca. 200km south of Acapulco and was moving NW over water. Its max. sust. wind speed was 74km/h (equivalent to a Tropical Storm).
- As of 5 July, a Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for the south-western Mexican coastal area. In the next 48h, TC ERICK-13 is forecast to move parallel to the coast of Mexico, but to remain offshore.
India – Floods (Assam State Disaster Management, WMO, IMD, Local Media)
- Heavy rainfall over Assam, NE India, has caused the overflowing above danger level of the rivers Brahmaputra and Dhansiri.
- As of 4 July, local media report a Red Alert by the state government in four districts. People along the banks of the rivers are asked to evacuate, as more heavy rainfall over Assam is forecast by the authorities.
- As of the same date, the State Disaster Management authorities report a total of over 27 000 people affected in the area by recent floods, while 500 people are hosted in three relief camps in the district of Dhemaji.
Thailand – Severe Weather (WMO, National Media)
- Heavy rainfall has been affecting the southern Thai provinces in the last few days. WMO reports 121.9mm of precipitation in 24h in Takua Pa district, Phang-Nga province, on 4 July.
- As of 5 July, national media report flash floods and landslides in Phang-Nga, killing one person, affecting over 1 000 people and damaging many homes.
Papua New Guinea – Earthquake (GDACS, USGS)
- An earthquake of a magnitude of 6.1M at a depth of 72km hit between Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea, on 4 July, 17h16 UTC. Its epicenter was located 81km SE of the town of Panguna (pop. ca. 3 000). USGS estimates moderate shaking felt by ca. 27 000 people.
- As of 5 July, no reports of damage was found in the media.
Meteoalarm – as of 5 July, 06:30 UTC
- High Temperatures in coastal Montenegro, NW and SW Spain, parts of Portugal – Orange Alert
- Coastal Events in SW Spain – Orange Alert
Forest Fire risk in Europe - EFFIS
- Extreme or Very High Risk in eastern, central and southern Portugal; western, central and NE Spain; southern France; southern Sardegna, southern Sicily and SE coastal Italy; western Albania; Aegean islands, eastern and western coastal Greece; Cyprus; western coastal, southern and central Turkey; eastern Ukraine; SW Russia; parts of eastern Croatia; parts of central-southern Hungary
EFAS reported high discharges during the last 24 hours by National services:
- Croatia: Ongoing high discharges of 1st alert level on the Danube and the Drava rivers (decreasing).
- Germany: Ongoing high discharges of 1st alert level on Elbe and Oder rivers.
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.