South Sudan – Refugees (ECHO)
- The number of Hepatitis E cases in Maban refugee camps (Upper Nile State) is 10,569 and 191 related deaths, while 435 cases and 13 related deaths were recorded in Yida (Unity State) since the beginning of the outbreak. 427 cases, including 19 deaths, have been reported in Doro since the onset of the outbreak in September 2012.
- While the number of cases per week is decreasing in most of the locations, in Maban cases doubled the last two weeks in Doro refugee camp, and are steadily slowly increasing in Unity State.
- The relocation of more than 18,000 refugees from the flood-prone Jamam camp to the new site in Kaya – both in Upper Nile State – has been completed.
South Sudan – Humanitarian response (ECHO)
- The Consolidated Appeal Process review identifies a $ 485 million funding shortfall.
South Sudan – Security (ECHO)
- An international NGO staff was killed near the town of Yei in Central Equatorial State, while on a duty road trip.
Malaysia, Singapore – Haze (Malaysian National News Agency, ECHO, BNPB, Media)
- Fires burning in Sumatra (Indonesia) for several days have caused record levels of air pollution in Singapore and Malaysia.
- Due to the haze, all schools in southern Malaysia remained closed on 24 June and outdoor activities were suspended.
- In Singapore, haze has receded since 21 June, when it reached potentially “life-threatening” levels.
Mexico – Tropical Cyclone COSME-13 (GDACS, NOAA, Mexican Meteo)
- Tropical Cyclone COSME-13 formed in the Pacific Ocean on 23 June, ca. 700km off the SW coasts of Mexico and has been moving NW, roughly parallel to the coast, intensifying. At 03h00 on 25 June it was a Tropical Storm, its centre was situated approx.500km SW of Manzanillo and was expected to become a Hurricane later on the day.
- COSME-13 is moving well away from the coast and no public warnings are in effect. However, moderate to heavy rains might still affect the coasts of SW Mexico as well as the island of Socorro (pop. 250) that lies ca. 250km north of the cyclone’s forecast track on 25-26 June.
Meteoalarm – as of 25 June, 06:20 UTC
- Heavy rain in northern and eastern Czech Republic – Red Alert
- Flood risk in central and southern Czech Republic – Red Alert
- Heavy rain in north-western, central and south-eastern Czech Republic; northern and south-western Poland; eastern Germany – Orange Alert
Forest Fire risk in Europe - EFFIS
- Extreme or Very High Risk in north-eastern, central and southern Portugal; central, western and north-eastern Spain; southern Corsica and southern France; Sardinia, southern Sicily, central-western, south-eastern and southern Italy; south-western Albania; central and western Greece from north to south; throughout Cyprus; western coastal, central, southern and eastern Turkey.
EFAS Reported high discharges during the last 24 hours by National services:
- Croatia: Ongoing high discharges of 1st degree of national alert level on Danube river (decreasing).
- Serbia: Ongoing high discharges of 1st degree of national alert level on Danube river (increasing).
- Switzerland: Ongoing high water levels in the region of Lake Constance. Warning level 3 (orange).
Factsheet on Food assistance:
- Global hunger and undernutrition affect more people than ever before. In 2012, there were 870 million undernourished people in the world, the majority of them are children.
- The European Commission's Humanitarian Food Assistance Policy aims at ensuring the availability of, access to, and consumption of, safe and nutritious food for the most vulnerable people. The EU was among the first parties to ratify the new Food Assistance Convention, which entered into force on 1 January 2013.
- The European Commission is one of the world's major donors of humanitarian food assistance. In 2012, ECHO provided €515 million for humanitarian food assistance and nutrition projects through its partner organisations in 58 countries.
Factsheet on Syria:
- The number of people affected by this protracted crisis is estimated to be 6.8 million people.
- Around 4.25 million people are reported to be displaced within Syria.
- The number of refugees has now reached 1 683 901, with over 550 thousand in Lebanon alone..
- The total humanitarian funding committed to the crisis is €682 million: €265 million from the EU and €417 from the Member States which includes in-kind contributions.
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.