Bangladesh – Severe weather (AFP, Bangladesh Government)
- A tornado hit 15 villages in Brahmanbaria district, eastern Bangladesh, in the night of 22 March (UTC), causing serious damage and fatalities. As of late on 24 March 22 people were killed, 300 were injured and ca. 500 households had been affected. Numerous uprooted trees caused also power and communication disruptions. According to the Disaster Management Ministry, on 23 March power was restored and relief operations were under way.
Thailand – Fire Incident (ECHO)
- At around 18h (local time) on 22 March, a blaze raged through Ban Mae Surin Camp for refugees and displaced people in Mae Hong Son Province, Thailand.
- At least 37 people are reported dead and over 115 injured, with many homes destroyed plus a school, clinic and 2 warehouses.
- Approximately 400 households were affected, representing over 2,300 people, including children. The camp houses 3,458 people displaced from Myanmar, mostly from the Karen minority group, and is one of 9 camps along the Thai-Myanmar border.
- DG ECHO is in close contact with its partners in the camps, who are providing assistance and investigating the resulting humanitarian needs, together with the authorities.
Myanmar – Sectarian violence (ECHO)
- Serious incidents of violence erupted in central Myanmar, as from 20 March.
- The Government declared a State of Emergency in 4 townships (Meiktila and 3 neighbouring ones) on 22 March.
- Killing, looting and burning of homes, shops and mosques are reported in Meiktila, a town located between Mandalay and Nay Pyi Taw, the capital.
- Thousands of Muslim residents were evacuated, and over 60 are reported dead.
- DG ECHO is in close contact with its partners in the region, who are providing assistance upon request of the Government to over 8,000 displaced people sheltering in 6 camps.
Indonesia – Landslide (AFP, Local media)
- A landslide, caused by heavy rainfall, hit the village of Muka Payung in Bandung regency, West Java, late on 24 March. The landslide buried at least 9 houses. As of early on 25 March the rescue efforts were still under way; local and international media report 6 people killed and at least 10 still missing.
Mexico – Forest Fires (Local Media)
- Forest fires in the State of San Luis Potosi in NW Mexico have burned an area of ca. 4,000 ha, have caused the death of 1 person and the evacuation of at least 400 people in the municipalities of Lagunillas, Ciudad Valles, Santa Catarina and Tamazunchale. As of 24 March the fires were still active.
Ukraine – Severe weather (Ukrainian Government, Euronews, Meteo Ukraine)
- Heavy snowfall affected central Ukraine on 23-24 March and a state of emergency was declared in the capital Kiev. According to media reports, ca. 50cm of snow fell in 24h, causing power cuts, extended traffic disruptions and stranding thousands of people. Local media report that late on 24 March 615 urban areas in 10 provinces were without power and the Interior Ministry reports that State Services were called to free ca. 2,500 cars trapped by snow drifts.
- Late on 24 March the situation was reported as stabilised in the western and central regions and most important roads were open. No significant precipitations are predicted for Kiev on 25 March.
United Kingdom – Severe Weather (BBC, Met Office)
- Heavy snow is reported to have affected Wales, southwestern Scotland, Northern Ireland and Northwestern England over the weekend, resulting in power outages and blocked roads. One death and food shortages were reported from Lancashire villages, Northwestern England, cut off by snow drifts in the afternoon of 24 March. As of 06:45 UTC on 25 March, at least 6,500 homes in Scotland were still without power.
- A Cold Weather Action alert was issued by the Metoffice on 24 March, warning of “90% probability of severe cold weather and icy conditions” between 24 and 28 March.
Meteoalarm as of 07:00 UTC
- Ice and snow in central and northern Croatia and SW Hungary – Orange Alert
- Strong winds in NW Croatia, the whole of Montenegro, NE Serbia and western Slovenia – Orange Alert
- Heavy rain in the whole of Montenegro – Orange Alert
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.