France/New Caledonia – Tropical Cyclone SANDRA-13 (COGIC, GDACS, Meteo France, Solomon Islands Meteo, Vanuatu Meteo, WMO) SW Pacific – Tropical Cyclone SANDRA
- At 00:00 UTC on 11 March the centre of SANDRA was located ca. 430km NW of the northern tip of New Caledonia and ca. 700km W of the capital of Vanuatu, Port Villa. It had a max. sust. wind speed of 195 km/h (equivalent to a Category 3) and was moving S-SE.
- Heavy rainfall has been affecting the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu in the past 3 days; up to 138mm in the Solomon Islands and up to 175mm in 24h in Vanuatu have been measured locally between 9 and 10 March.
- In the next 24h SANDRA is forecast to keep moving S-SE, weakening slightly. Its centre might pass close to the north-western tip of northern New Caledonia early on 12 March. The northern parts of the island have been put under Orange Alert for cyclone since 06:00 UTC on 11 March, as moderate to strong winds and heavy rainfall might affect these areas. Moderate to heavy rainfall could continue affecting Vanuatu in the next 24h. A Tropical Cyclone Watch is also still in effect in the Solomon Islands as of early on 11 March.
Papua New Guinea Earthquake (GDACS, USGS, PTWC, Media)
- An earthquake of 6.5M at a depth of 28.9 km hit Papua New Guinea, in the sea area between the Island of West New Britain and mainland PNG, ca. 35 km East from the port town of Finschhaven (Morobe province), on 10 March, 22:51 UTC. USGS PAGER indicates strong shaking felt by ca. 17,000 people. As of 11 March morning, no damage has been reported in the media and no tsunami alert has been announced.
Brazil – Severe Weather (Local Media, WMO)
- Thunderstorms and heavy rainfall hit the area of Sao Paulo in the evening of 9 March. Local media report 2 people killed by floodwaters, several road closures and some flood damage in the city.
EFAS awareness report during the last 24 hours
- Germany: Ongoing flood of Alert level 1 (Lowest level) at Untere Havel - Wasserstrasse river - Rathenow UP station; at Oder / Odra river - Stuetzkow station.Saale river - Oberthau station and at Saale river - Oberthau station.
- Slovakia: Ongoing flood of Alert level 1 (Lowest level) on Morava, Ipel (Ipoly), Hron, Torysa, Hornad, Slana, Rimava and Latorica rivers
- Slovenia: Ongoing floods in southern part of Slovenia in Krka and Ljubljanica river basins.
Meteoalarm – as of 07:00 UTC
- Snow/ice throughout Belgium, the northern tip of Germany, along the northern coast of France, eastern, southern and NW Ireland, and southwest UK - Orange Alert
- Coastal events along the central Northern coast of Spain - Orange Alert
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.