China – Earthquake (GDACS, USGS, Chinese Government)
- A 5.2M earthquake at a depth of 8 km hit Eryuan county in Yunnan province near the Myanmar border at 05h41 UTC on 3 March. USGS PAGER indicates 4,000 people subjected to “Strong” shaking. As of 12h40 UTC on the same day, the Ministry of Civil Affairs reported 30 people injured and around 1,800 houses collapsed; early on 4 March Xinhua reported ca. 21,000 people evacuated in five counties in the region, as well as damage to public buildings, schools, road and water networks.
Ecuador – Severe weather (Local Media, AFP, WMO)
- Heavy rainfall in Guayaquil, SW Ecuador (100mm in 24h between 2 and 3 March) caused the death of at least two people, the collapse of 11 houses and flooded many streets in the city, according to local media reports. According to unnamed officials quoted in AFP, the number of people killed had reached eight in the evening of 3 March.
- Heavy rainfall caused floods and landslides also in the western coastal province of Manabi, affecting 9 of the 22 districts (cantons), causing damage in the area of Manta and displacing a small number of families.
Thailand - Storm (Media)
- In Sakhon Nakorn Province, storm and strong winds destroyed more than 100 houses with one person reported dead, as of 3 March.
- In Kalasin Province, the storm destroyed more than 50 houses but no casualties were reported.
- The national authorities warned people in upper Thailand of thunderstorms and isolated gusts and hail, caused by a high pressure area approaching the country.
Meteoalarm – as of 07:00 UTC
- Strong winds in the western Canary islands, in northern continental Spain and in south-west France – Orange Alert
- Coastal event in the Canary islands, Spain, and in southern Madeira as well as in southern continental Portugal – Orange Alert
- Thunderstorms in south-east Greece – Orange Alert
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.