India - Inter-community violence in West Bengal (ECHO)
- Following the murder of a local (Muslim) religious leader in Noliakhali village (Canning area), South 24 Parganas District, West Bengal State, at least 400 houses belonging to the Hindu-minority in the area were torched on 19 Feb, with at least 1 casualty confirmed.
- Although the presence of security forces was rapidly scaled up and restrictions on movement are in place, the situation remains volatile, with potential for further escalation. Media has been barred entrance to the area until further notice.
- A rapid assessment will be concluded today by ADRA-India.
Kenya – Refugees (ECHO)
- The Kenyan High Court extended the injunction on the Urban Refugees Relocation Directive whose implementation is feared to have serious humanitarian consequences for the Somali Urban Refugees in Kenya, until at least 21 March when it will proceed to further hearings from the parties.
Mali – Conflict (ECHO)
- Heavy fighting has erupted in Gao and a car bomb has wounded two civilians in Kidal, two recaptured towns in the north of Mali. The road leading from central Mali to Gao has been opened, but road traffic north of Douentza is discouraged.
- Recent assessments reveal important new needs, particularly in terms of rapidly deteriorating food security conditions in the north and among IDPs and their hosts.
- Operating conditions remain extremely difficult in the north due to insecurity: military operations, attacks and the threat of mines and unexploded ordinance. Humanitarian partners are shipping supplies from Mopti to Timbuktu, the third major town in the north by boat on the Niger River.
Madagascar – Tropical Cyclone HARUNA-13 (GDACS, JRC, Meteo France Reunion, BNGRC, Local Media)
- HARUNA-13 made landfall in SW Madagascar early on 22 Feb, ca. 70km S of Morombe. At 00h00 UTC 22 Feb, it had a max. sust. wind speed of 167 km/h, equivalent to a Category 2 Hurricane. At 06h00 22 Feb its center was already approx. 30km inland, heading SE across Atsimo-Andrefana region.
- Strong winds and heavy rainfall are affecting the regions along the path of HARUNA. JRC calculations indicate a max. storm surge of ca. 0.7m in the landfall area. As of 07h00 UTC on 22 Feb local media report 5 people dead and a number of houses damaged. 13 districts in southern and SW Madagascar are under “Avis de Danger Imminent” warning
- In the next 24h it is forecast that heavy rainfalls and moderate to strong winds will continue affecting southern Madagascar and the tropical cyclone will continue moving SE over land, weakening, possibly becoming a Tropical Storm and leave Madagascar on 23 Feb.
Philippines – Tropical Cyclone TWO-13 (WMO, NDRRMC)
- TWO-13 moved away from the Philippines on 21 Feb; heavy rainfall in the central and northern parts of the country continued, however, with measured rainfall between 50 and 160mm in 24h in numerous areas of Visayas and Luzon.
- 184,000 people have been affected by the heavy rainfall and subsequent floods and landslides of the past 2 days in eastern Visayas and Mindanao, and 25,709 people are sheltered by 37 evacuation centers. Four people have been killed and two are missing.
Fiji – Severe weather (WMO, Meteo Fiji, Local Media)
- Fiji was affected by heavy rainfall on 21 Feb; 110mm in 24h were measured in Nadi on 21 February. Local media report flooding in Viti Levu and 1 person killed by floodwaters.
Italy – Flash Floods (ANSA, Local Media)
- Heavy rainfall caused flash flooding in the city in Catania in Sicily in the afternoon of 21 Feb. Local media report flooded roads and buildings and a number of people were stranded in cars and roofs. As of 07h25 UTC on 22 Feb, 1 person is reported injured.
Meteoalarm – as of 07:30 UTC
- Ice and Snow in eastern Austria, Palencia and Burgos in northern Spain, and NW Serbia – Orange Alert
- Coastal Event in NW Spain and along most of the coasts of Portugal – Orange Alert
- Strong winds in central-coastal and southern Portugal – Orange Alert
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.