Sudan – Conflict (ECHO)
- Still no access for UN agencies to conduct a comprehensive needs assessment in Jebel Amir, an area in North Darfur affected by inter-tribal fighting. The conflict between Arab tribes over the control of a gold mining area has affected an estimated 60,000–100,000 people.
Abyei Administrative Area – Migration/return (ECHO)
- The annual Misseriya pastoralist migration southwards and the Dinka Ngok return to areas of origin are taking place simultaneously. An estimated 50,000 Misseriya nomads with 1.2 million livestock are currently in the Abyei area. Lack of access to water could lead to conflict as the pastoralists are forced to use water sources also used by the farmers. UNISFA has been holding meetings with both Misseriya and Dinka Ngok leadership to ensure a smooth process, so far successfully.
South Sudan – Hepatitis/conflict/food prices (ECHO)
- Hepatitis E outbreak in all refugee camps in Unity and Upper Nile States continues to worsen with more than 100 deaths and 4,000 cases since the beginning of the outbreak in August 2012. Over the previous month, an average of 600 cases has been reported per week.
- 17,000 people in Pibor County in Jonglei State remain without adequate humanitarian assistance for several months because of access constraints and an unstable security environment.
- Food commodity prices remain higher than the five-year average and those of 2011 in border areas, mainly due to the closure of the border to Sudan and continued tightening of economic conditions.
Bolivia – Floods (REDLAC, Local Media)
- Heavy rains affected southern Bolivia in the last few days, causing flooding. The most affected departments were Chuquisaca, Potosi, Tarija and Cochabamba. As of 4 February, local media reported at least 5,400 families and 5,162 ha of land affected in the department of Chuquisaca.
Peru – Floods (INDECI)
- In the region of Puno, heavy rains caused the overflow of a number of rivers. As of 2 February, ca. 63 families were affected (35 in province of Azángaro; 28 in the province of Carabaya) and 63 houses were damaged (35 of them destroyed).
Meteoalarm – As of 07:30 UTC 05 February
- Ice and snow in southern Belgium as well as in east Midlands and north-west and central-northern UK – Orange alert
- Strong winds in Sachsen-Anhalt (Germany) and the coasts of north-west Poland – Orange Alert
- Coastal events in north-west Spain – Orange Alert
- Avalanche risk in south-west Norway – Orange alert
Floods in Europe (EFAS)
Reported floods during the last 24 hours by National services:
- DE: Ongoing high discharges and water levels in Rhine, Main, Elbe and Danube tributaries (Wörnitz, Altmühl, Danube river).
- SI: Ongoing high discharges and water levels are decreasing in central Slovenia and the Spodnjeposavska region (Ljubljanica and Krka river).
- HR: Ongoing high discharges and water levels are increasing in the north Croatia Danube, Drava, Sava river.
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.