Japan - Earthquake (GDACS, FDMA, USGS, Local media)
- A powerful 6.9M earthquake at a depth of 103km hit southern Hokkaido, 15km SW of Obihiro (pop. 174,000) at 14:17 UTC on 02 February.
- USGS indicates "Very Strong" shaking for up to 158.000 people. Although strongly felt across Hokkaido and some parts of Honshu, only minor damage and some power cuts were reported and ca. 10 people were slightly injured.
- National Authorities report all nuclear facilities in the area undamaged.
Madagascar - Tropical Cyclone FELLENG (BNGRC, UN)
- The passage of Tropical Cyclone FELLENG along the coast of eastern Madagascar from 30 January to 01 February as well as heavy rainfall in other parts of the island caused light to moderate damage and a number of deaths.
- As of 01 February, according to BNGRC, 5 people had been killed, 4 were missing, 946 people were affected (principally in the region of Antananarivo), 784 were left homeless, 241 homes were flooded and some damage was reported in road infrastructure and rice fields in the eastern parts.
- Although FELLENG has moved away from Madagascar, moderate to heavy rainfall associated with the Intertropical Convergence Zone could still affect the northern parts of the country and BGNRC has cautioned against possible river overflows until 04 February.
Mozambique - Floods (GDACS, WMO, UN, Local Media)
- While the river levels in the southern Mozambique basins are reported to recede, heavy rainfall in the central and northern parts has caused water levels to rise in the basins of Messalo and Licungo in Cabo Delgado and Zambezia provinces respectively, according to local media. 80 mm of rain in 24h were measured on 03 February in Lumbo, Nampula province.
- UN as well as local media report 1,800 people evacuated on 1-2 February in Nicoadala district in Zambezia; 9 people are reported killed and 625 schools damaged in the province in the past few days.
Meteoalarm - as of 07:30 UTC 04 February
- Snow and ice in the whole of Austria expect the southern parts, central and SE Germany – Orange Alert
- Strong winds in SE Germany – Orange Alert
- Flood risk in Haute Marne, France – Orange Alert
- Avalanche risk in SW Norway – Orange Alert
Flood in Europe (EFAS)
Reported floods during the last 24 hours by National services:
- Germany: On-going high discharges and water levels in upper Main (Bayern) and northern Danube tributaries (Wörnitz River).
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.