Syria – Humanitarian Aid (ECHO)
- In advance of today's humanitarian pledging conference for Syria in Kuwait, Commissioner Georgieva announced on 29 January a pledge of €100 million, bringing total funding from the EU humanitarian budget to €200 million. The Commissioner emphasised that while assistance was reaching the entire country, there was an urgent need to upscale the response. She also called for all parties to respect international humanitarian law in order to facilitate access to those in need.
Western Indian Ocean – Tropical Cyclone FELLENG (GDACS, Meteo France-Reunion, BNGRC)
- FELLENG is strengthening off Madagascar. At 00:00 UTC 29 January it had a max. sust. wind speed of 195 km/h (equivalent to a Category 3 Hurricane) and its centre was located ca. 390 km off the NE coast of Madagascar and 700 km NNW of Reunion, heading SW. In the next 24h it is forecast to keep moving SW strengthening slightly, approaching the eastern Madagascar coasts and later on turn S, moving between Madagascar and Reunion.
- Heavy rainfall and moderate to strong winds could affect the NE and eastern parts of Madagascar from 30 January onwards. The National Disaster Management Agency (BNGRC) has issued Cyclone Warnings for most districts in the NE and E parts of the country.
Mozambique – Floods (OCHA, WMO, Local Media)
- As of 29 January, according to OCHA, 48 people had been killed by the recent floods in southern Mozambique, while ca. 250,000 have been affected. According to National Disaster Management authorities quoted in local media, as of 29 January evening there were 138,596 people displaced, housed in 26 evacuation centres. Local media also report gradual restoration of power and water supply in the heavily hit city of Chokwe.
- Heavy rainfall resumed in the central and northern parts of Mozambique; 227mm in 24h were measured in Quelimane, Zambezia province and 197mm in Nampula, Nampula province, between 28 and 29 January. Local media report at least 706 families affected by this new wave of severe weather.
- Syria -
Meteoalarm – as of 07:15 UTC 30 January
- Strong winds in western Austria, eastern Germany, SW Sweden and northern UK – Orange Alert
- Ice and snow in southern Finland – Orange Alert
- Coastal event in western Denmark – Orange Alert
- Low visibility in NE Poland – Orange Alert
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.