Mozambique – Floods (AFP, UN, Local Media)
- According to international and local media reports the floodwaters of Limpopo river have reached the city of Xai-Xai at the river’s mouth, with several city districts reported flooded. As a result, the main road artery linking capital Maputo with the centre and north of country has been closed.
- As of 25 January the regions of Chokwe and Guija were still largely inundated, as revealed by UNOSAT satellite imagery and access was possible only by boat; early on 28 January media reported that waters had begun to recede around Chokwe and the remaining 9,000 people (out of 60,000) had started clean-up efforts. Cases of diarrhoea have been reported in the region.
- At least 36 people have been killed by the floods since last week, most of them in Gaza province, and another 70,000 have been displaced, according to UN sources quoted in AFP. UNICEF estimates that the number of affected people in Gaza alone is likely to rise above 100,000.
Indonesia – Landslides (BNPB)
- Following heavy rainfall on 25/26 January a landslide hit a mining site in Kerinci regency, Jambi province, Western Sumatra on 26 January, killing 5 people and seriously injuring 2. On 27 January another landslide in Agam regency left 11 people dead, 6 injured and 9 others were missing as of 27 January 12:56 UTC.
Sri Lanka – Severe weather (Sri Lanka Disaster Management)
- Renewed heavy rainfall on 25 January in the Eastern Province of Sri Lanka affected 331,000 people in Batticaloa and another 16,700 in Ampara district. 512 houses were damaged (104 fully) and 5,197 people were housed in 32 evacuation centres as of 28 January. Most provinces of Sri Lanka have been affected by successive bouts of heavy rainfall since mid-December 2012.
Australia – Floods (BOM, ABC)
- Very heavy rainfall and subsequent extended flooding has been affecting western Australia since 23 January, caused by the remnants of Tropical Cyclone Oswald. As of early on 28 January (UTC) 3 people have been killed by floodwaters, 2,000 homes have been affected in the coastal city of Bundaberg, 300km N of Brisbane and more than 220,000 homes are without power in SE Queensland. Mandatory evacuation orders have been issued for northern Bundaberg and Lockyer Valley.
- Heavy rainfall and moderate to strong winds are forecast for 28 and 29 January (UTC) for the southern coasts of Queensland and many areas of New South Wales including Canberra and Sydney; Severe Weather and Flood Warnings were in effect for these areas as of 07:30 UTC 28 January.
Western Indian Ocean – Tropical Cyclone THIRTEEN (GDACS, Meteo France – Reunion)
- Tropical Cyclone THIRTEEN formed on 26 January in the western Indian Ocean and started moving W in the direction of northern Madagascar. At 00:00 UTC on 28 January it was a Tropical Storm with a max. sust. wind speed of 64km/h and its centre was located ca. 1,000 km east of northern Madagascar. In the next 48h it is forecast to keep moving W over open waters, strengthening slightly.
Italy - Earthquake (GDACS, Italian Civil Protection, Local Media)
- A 4.9M earthquake at a depth of 15km hit in the province of Lucca in Tuscany, northern Italy, 3km from the town of Castiglione di Garfagnana on 25 January at 14:48 UTC. This moderate earthquake was reportedly felt as far as Milano and caused some panic in the cities near the epicentre, but no damage or casualties were reported.
Meteoalarm – as of 07:40 UTC 28 January
- Ice and snow in southern Austria – Orange Alert
- Strong winds in Tarragon and Castellon in Spain and the whole of the Republic of Ireland – Orange Alert
- Coastal events in the central and northern coasts of Portugal and the northern Atlantic coast of Spain – Orange Alert
- Thunderstorms in SE Greece – Orange Alert
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.