Mozambique – Floods (UN, OCHA, AFP, IRIN, Local Media)
- Evacuations – occasionally forced – of flooded regions continue in central and southern Mozambique. The town of Chokwe (pop. 60,000) in Gaza province has been evacuated after being totally inundated, according to local media reports; shortages of accommodation space for the displaced are reported. A number of villages in the Guija district on the eastern bank of the overflown Limpopo river are also reported inundated.
- UNOSAT satellite images of Chokwe and Guija districts on 23 January indicate many villages, roads and railway lines in inundated zones on both banks of the Limpopo river.
Southern Pacific - Tropical Cyclone GARRY (GDACS, Meteo Fiji)
- GARRY is moving slowly towards Cook Islands. At 18:00 UTC on 23 January it was a Tropical Storm with a maximum sustained wind speed of 74 km/h. At 02:00 UTC on 24 January, according to Meteo Fiji its centre was located ca. 900 km north-west of Aitutaki island, heading east/south-east. In the next 48h it might move close to this part of the Cook islands, affecting it with moderate to strong winds. A tropical cyclone alert and a strong wind warning is in effect for Aitutaki (population: 2,000).
Philippines – Severe Weather (NDRRMC)
- The figures of displaced and affected people by the severe weather (heavy rainfall and subsequent flooding) in southern Mindanao since 19-20 January have risen significantly in the past 24h. As of 24 January 04:00 UTC there were 9 people dead, 3 missing, 106,794 people in 133 evacuation centres (48,661 on 23 January) and a total of 466,850 affected (150,521 on 23 January).
Meteoalarm – as of 24 January 07:15 UTC
- Low temperatures in south-east Belgium – Orange Alert
- Strong winds in south-east, east and north Spain, north-west Croatia, Sardinia in Italy and western Slovenia – Orange Alert
- Thunderstorms in western, north and south-east Greece and Campania in Italy – Orange Alert
- Heavy rain in western, north-east and south-east Greece and southern Montenegro – Orange Alert
- Coastal event in the northern Atlantic coast of Spain – Orange Alert
Floods in Europe (EFAS)
Reported floods during the last 24 hours by National services:
- Slovenia: On the Ljubljanica river basin are high water levels, the National services predicts slowly decreasing.
- Slovakia: In the southeast of Slovakia on the Larorica river the water levels are slowly increasing.
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.