Pakistan – Measles (WHO, ECHO)
- Since January 2012, a total 5,856 measles alerts have been reported in Pakistan where 788 alerts have been confirmed as localized outbreaks. During the same period, the total deaths attributed to measles were 310.
- Sindh is the most affected province. Between 1 January 2012 and 5 January 2013, a total of 2,349 suspected measles alerts have been reported out of which 549 alerts have been confirmed as outbreaks. The total deaths were 238 where most of the affected children died due to post measles complications such as pneumonia, post measles encephalitis and diarrhoea. Around 20% of deceased children were malnourished.
Sudan – Conflict (ECHO)
- Inter-tribal conflict in North Darfur has left more than 100 people dead and over 70,000 displaced. The full extent of the damage will be ascertained following a needs assessment, scheduled to take place shortly.
- Clashes between the Sudanese army and an armed movement in the Jebel Marra area of Central Darfur have displaced about 30,000 people. Assistance is being provided to newly displaced people, but many remain out of reach.
- Phase II of the yellow fever vaccination campaign has now reached 93% of the targeted population. Phase III, starting in the coming days, will target a further two million people.
- Heavy fighting between Sudanese army and SPLM-N forces continues near Kadugli, the capital of South Kordofan State. Humanitarian assistance remains very restricted in government-controlled areas of the State; the government does not allow any aid to pass into SPLM-N controlled areas.
South Sudan – Conflict (ECHO)
- Cattle-raiding and border tensions have caused 12,000 new displacements across the northern states. Humanitarian assistance is being provided wherever security allows it.
Democratic Republic of the Congo – Conflict (ECHO)
- 54,000 IDPs are living in very difficult security conditions in the health zone of Mwesso in Masisi territory, 100 km North West of Goma. They have had no humanitarian assistance for five months due to the security problems.
- Indonesia – Earthquake (GDACS, USGS, BNPB, AFP, AP, Local Media)
- On 21 January at 22:22 UTC, an earthquake of magnitude 5.9Mw at a depth of 16.6 km struck Aceh region (North West Sumatra) in Indonesia. The epicenter was located about 100 km South East of Banda Aceh. USGS-PAGER indicates shaking up to “Strong” for about 5,000 people. According to national authorities and media reports (as of early 22 January) there were one dead, seven injured and some damaged houses.
Philippines – Severe Weather (NDRRMC, PAGASA)
- Flooding affected parts of Mindanao (mostly Davao Region) in southern Philippines, due to the heavy rains of the last few days. According to NDRMMC (as of 21 January), there were three dead, two missing, five injured, 84,202 affected, 33,192 people in 51 evacuation centres and 207 damaged houses. In the next 24h, moderate rains might still affect parts of Davao Region.
South West Pacific - Tropical Cyclone GARRY (GDACS, Samoa Meteo, NOAA)
- GARRY (previously TEN), formed in the vicinity of Wallis and Futuna, is moving East, strengthening. At 18:00 UTC on 21 January, it had a max sustained wind speed of 74 km/h (equivalent to a tropical storm) and its center was located ca. 230 km North East of Samoa. As of early 22 January, a storm warning was in effect for Samoa and for parts of American Samoa. In the next 24h, it is forecast to move East-South East, strengthening over open water, away from Samoa towards Cook Islands.
- Australia - Tropical Cyclone OSWALD (GDACS, BOM, Media)
- OSWALD, formed over the Gulf of Carpentaria (northern Australia), reached the coasts of Cape York Peninsula (northern Queensland) in the evening (UTC) of 21 January as a tropical storm, then moved inland weakening. Heavy rains affected parts of northern Queensland; local media reported power outages in western Cape York and some flooding south of Cairns.
Meteoalarm – Orange and Red Alerts
- Coastal events in NW Spain and NW Portugal – Red Alert
- Strong winds in NW Spain and NW Portugal – Orange Alert
- Coastal events in S Portugal and N Spain – Orange Alert
- Snow and ice in NW Spain, N Portugal, SE Poland and NE UK – Orange Alert
- Avalanche risk in N Norway – Orange Alert
Floods in Europe (EFAS)
- SI: In the Ljubljanica river basin, EFAS shows ongoing floods.
- FR: In the Garonne basin, national services shows ongoing floods. The National services mention high water levels in the Garonne basin. The flood wave is now traveling downstream.
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.