Indonesia – Floods (BNPB, Local Media, Alertnet)
- Reduced rainfall on 19-20 January has allowed floodwaters to recede; the death toll, however, is rising: according to the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB), as of 21 January there were 20 people dead and 40,146 displaced. Local media report overcrowding and lack of clean water in some evacuation centres. A total of around 250,000 people are reported affected by the floods.
- Flooding has also been reported in the regions east of Jakarta; in Karawang regency 51 villages in 15 districts was inundated on 17 January. BNPB reports 18,626 houses flooded and 66,746 people affected. As of 21 January, most of these areas are still flooded.
China – Earthquake (GDACS, Sichuan Seismological Bureau)
- A 5.4M earthquake at a depth of 9.2km hit in the Baiyu County in Sichuan Province, 15km NW of the town of Nata on 18 January 12:42 UTC. According to the local seismological bureau, as of 19 January 08:46 UTC there were 2,700 houses and public buildings slightly damaged in the townships of Nata, Samak and Niyaz and 1 person injured.
Tropical Cyclone TEN-13 (GDACS, Samoa Meteo, NWS)
- Tropical Cyclone TEN-13 (GARRY) formed in the vicinity of Wallis and Futuna in the SW Pacific, ca. 500km NE of Fiji, on 20 January. At 00:00 UTC on 21 January it was a Tropical Storm with a max. sust. wind speed of 64 km/h and its centre was located ca. 280km NW of Samoa. In the next 24h it is forecast to move E-SE, passing north of Samoa, strengthening slightly.
- Samoa could be affected by moderate winds and rainfall on 21-22 January (UTC); a Storm Warning was in effect for Samoa as of 03:00 UTC 21 January and a Gale Warning for American Samoa as of 05:30 UTC on the same date.
Spain – Severe weather (Euronews, Local Media)
- Severe weather (strong winds and heavy rainfall) affected Spain over the weekend 19-20 January, killing 3 people (2 in Cartagena, SE Spain and 1 in Badajoz, near the Portuguese border). A number of roads were closed in Andalucia because of snow, floods and downed trees and a number of people were slightly injured when a train from Madrid to Ourense was derailed by debris blown over the rails.
Meteoalarm – Red and Orange Alerts
- Strong winds in northern Montenegro – Red Alert
- Ice and snow in central and northern Belgium, SE Switzerland, the eastern half of Czech Republic, central-northern France, eastern and southern Ireland, most of the Netherlands, southern Poland, SW Serbia and central and northern UK – Orange Alert
- Coastal event along the northern Atlantic coasts of Spain – Orange Alert
- Strong winds in eastern Greece, Sardinia in Italy and northern Slovakia – Orange Alert
- Heavy rain in western Croatia, southern Montenegro – Orange Alert
- Avalanche risk in northern Norway and northern Slovenia – Orange Alert
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.