Thailand – Rohingyas fleeing Myanmar (ECHO)
- Some 800 - 1,000 Rohinya refugees, who escaped the conflict in Myanmar’s Rakhine State, arrived in open boats in Thailand
- Human Rights organizations criticized Thailand for returning them to Myanmar
Mongolia – Severe winter weather (ECHO)
- Although Mongolia is much better prepared for the winter than in the past, there are concerns about the situation of herders in the coming weeks, due to the extreme cold weather and the snow.
- Several assessments are being conducted.
Philippines - Low Pressure Area 'Bising' (ECHO)
- The Low Pressure caused 6 flash floods and a landslide, affected 16,801 people in 7 provinces of Regions XI, XII and CARAGA (Mindanao). As of 15 January, according to NDRRMC 7,880 people are in 25 evacuation centers.
- State of calamity was declared for the Municipality of Norala (Region XII) on 9 January 2013.
Indonesia – Floods (BNPB, BMKG, BBC, Local Media, WMO)
- Heavy rains are still affecting parts of Java Island, in particular the area of Jakarta, causing floods. On 16 January ca. 100 mm of rain was observed in Jakarta.
- According to national authorities (as of late 16 January), due to the heavy rains of the last few days in Jakarta, the number of displaced has risen to 9,500 (6,100 in the morning of 16 January). In the next 24h moderate to heavy rains might still affect Jakarta.
Papua New Guinea – Flooding (ECHO)
- Two weeks of continuous rain in Oro Province caused flooding, damaged crops and made thousands of people relocate to higher ground.
Mozambique – Severe weather (AFP, Local Media, WMO)
- In the past few days heavy rains affected parts of southern Mozambique. In Maputo ca. 160 mm of rain was observed from 06:00 UTC 15 January to 06:00 UTC 16 January.
- As of 16 January, media reported 4 people killed in the capital Maputo and a number of damaged houses.
Croatia – Severe weather (Local Media)
- Severe weather (snow) has affected parts of Croatia on 15-16 January. According to local media (as of 16 January), 1 person was injured and there were reports of downed trees, some power and communications outages, in particular in Zagreb.
Meteoalarm – Orange Alert
- Ice and Snow in most of Austria, north-western France, central Croatia, western Hungary, central-northern and north-eastern Italy – Orange Alert
- Avalanche risk in north-eastern Spain, north-western Slovenia – Orange Alert
- Thunderstorms in western Greece, southern Italy (including Sicily) – Orange Alert
- Strong winds in north-eastern Spain, central Greece, Sicily and Sardinia in Italy, western Slovenia and southern Montenegro – Orange Alert
- Coastal events in Menorca (Spain) –Orange Alert
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.