Indonesia – Floods (BNPB)
- Heavy rainfall since 17 November caused flooding and landslides in southern Sumatra and western Java. 2 people were killed by landslides in Sadu, Jawa Barat, 200 homes were flooded in Sukaresmi, Jawa Barat and hundreds of houses are reported flooded in 11 villages in the city of Bengkulu in SW Sumatra. Moderate to heavy rains continued to affect western Java, with 105 mm in 24h recorded in Jakarta on 18 November.
Guatemala – Earthquake - UPDATE (CONRED)
- The latest report by CONRED on 17 November identifies 127 municipalities affected by the 7.2M earthquake of 07 November: 23 in San Marcos, 23 in Quetzaltenango, 20 in Huehuetenango, 19 in Suchitepéquez, 17 in Sololá, 9 in Quiché.
- The total number of people affected by the earthquake has reached 3,409,188, those evacuated have increased to 30,479 and 21,800 homes have suffered various degrees of damage. The number of people in shelters has remained at 9,831.
Democratic Republic of Congo – conflict (ECHO)
- The advance, over the weekend, of the armed group M23 towards Goma, the provincial capital of North Kivu (800,000 inhabitants), constitutes a major risk for the humanitarian situation in the Province.
- On the ground, the situation is extremely volatile, with populations fleeing, notably the 70,000 Internally Displaced Persons from the camp of Kanyaruchinya (10 km from Goma), and some –so far- minor movements reported into Rwanda and possibly Uganda
- Many non-emergency organisations have relocated their staff to either Rwanda or Bukavu (South Kivu).
- ECHO experts on the ground are closely monitoring the situation in Eastern DRC.
Portugal – Strong winds (Reuters, Local Media)
- Strong winds, reportedly tornado-like, hit the region of Algarve in southern Portugal on 16 November at around 13:40 UTC affecting mainly the towns of Silves, Lagoa and Carvoeiro. The strong winds injured 13 people (mainly in overturned cars), damaged a number of houses leaving 12 people homeless and caused power cuts to 4,600 others.
Floods in Europe (EFAS)
- On-going high discharges and water levels in various rivers in southern Finland. However, water levels are starting to decrease in most of the rivers.
Meteoalarm – Orange Alerts
- Thunderstorms southern and central-eastern Italy, including Sardinia and Sicily – Orange Alert
- Low visibility in northern Montenegro – Orange Alert
- Coastal event (fog) in NW Poland – Orange Alert
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.