USA - Hurricane SANDY-12 (GDACS, FEMA, NOAA, NWS, CNN)
- SANDY made landfall in the coast of New Jersey about 10km SW of Atlantic City, at around 00:00 UTC on 30 October. At landfall time it had a max. sust. wind speed of 130 km/h.
- The coastal areas of the Atlantic states of the US have been affected by strong winds, heavy rainfall and strong storm surge. NOAA reports a storm surge of 3.6m at King’s Point (NY) and 2.6m at Sandy Hook, New Jersey. 177 mm of rain in 24h on 29 October were measured in Wallops island, Virginia.
- As of 07:00 UTC 30 October, 13 people were reported killed in the US by SANDY in NY State, New Jersey, Connecticut and Virginia (the majority by falling trees). Severe storm surge flooding was reported in Atlantic City (NJ) and in many places in New York City (most notably in Manhattan). 2.8 million people sustained power cuts, and all ground and air public transport has been halted in several major cities.
- At 03:00 UTC this morning (30 October) the centre of SANDY was located very close to the city of Philadelphia; it had still a max sust. wind speed of 120 km/h (equivalent to a Hurricane Category 1) and was moving NW. The strongest winds are occurring over water, to the east of the centre. Hurricane-force wind warnings by the National Weather Service are still in effect for the US coast from Virginia in the south all the way to Plymouth, Massachusetts in the north.
- SANDY is forecast to move across the state of Pennsylvania during the next 24h and then move into western NY State. Steady weakening is expected during the next 48h. Tropical Storm force winds should continue from Virginia northward through New England at least for the next few hours.
India – Sri Lanka – Tropical Cyclone TWO (ECHO, GDACS, Indian Meteo)
- Tropical Cyclone TWO-12 formed on 29 October in the Indian Ocean, near the E coast of Sri Lanka, moved initially E and then turned NW towards India. At 00:00 UTC it was a Tropical storm with a max. sust. wind speed of 74 km/h.
- TWO is forecast to continue moving NW towards the coasts of southern India. According to the 00:00 UTC data it could approach the coast (northern Tamil Nadu or southern Andra Pradesh) around midday 31 October (UTC).
- Due to the deep depression over the southwest Bay of Bengal (500 Km south-southeast of Chennai and 100 Km east-northeast of Trincomalee, Sri Lanka) a cyclone alert has been issued for North Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and adjoining South Andhra Pradesh coasts.
SUDAN – Darfur – conflict (ECHO)
- On 17 October a UNAMID solider was killed and three injured when their convoy was ambushed by armed gunmen 10 km from Hashaba in Kutum locality, North Darfur. It is the second fatal attack on UNAMID this month. According to UNAMID, there was a marked increase in violence in North Darfur between June and August 2012.
- According to humanitarian organisations in North Darfur, the Government has stopped armed escorts for commercial vehicles, resulting in delays for transporting humanitarian supplies to areas of need.
Argentina – Severe Weather (Local Media, WMO)
- A severe storm with heavy rainfall hit the region of Buenos Aires on 29 October, killing 2 people. 1,800 others had to be evacuated and extensive flooding and power cuts were reported throughout the Metropolitan Area (91mm of rain in 24h measured on 29 October).
Fact Sheets updates:
Southern Balkan peninsula – Severe Weather (Bulgarian Media, Greek Media, WMO)
- Storms and heavy rainfall has been affecting southern Bulgaria, Albania and northern Greece since 27 October 76 mm of rain in 24h were recorded in Burgas, Bulgaria on 29 October, 73.3mm in Korca, Albania, on 28/29 October.
- One person is reported killed by high winds in Ruse, Bulgaria, and flooding was reported in the capital Sofia. The regions of Blagoevgrad, Western Bulgaria, Haskovo, Southern Bulgaria, and Burgas on the Black Sea coast were the hardest-hit by the rains and thunderstorms.
- In Greece, extended damage in roads and power cuts have been reported since 27 October in the NW region of Epirus.
Meteoalarm – Orange Alerts
- Ice and Snow in Czech Republic – Orange Alert
- Strong winds in the Canary Islands in Spain, and SE Italy – Orange Alert
- Heavy rain in Madeira, Portugal – Orange Alert
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.