Indonesia – Drought (ECHO, WFP)
- A prolonged period of less than average precipitation levels has resulted in dry conditions in most parts of Indonesia.
- The government of Indonesia has declared drought in nine provinces; Riau, Lampung, Jawa Barat, Jawa Tengah, Jawa Timur, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta, Nusa Tenggara Barat (NTB), Nusa Tenggara Timur (NTT) and Papua Barat.
- National level crop damage is expected to be minor; however, for many directly affected households livelihood losses will be great.
- Dry conditions are forecasted to continue in most parts of the country in the October- December period due to below- average precipitation.
- The province of NTT is of special concern given considerable drought conditions, prices far above the national level and relatively high inflation.
Papua New Guinea – Chikungunya Outbreak (ECHO)
- An outbreak of Chikungunya virus infection has been reported in Papua New Guinea.
- The outbreak began in June 2012, and as of 11 October, a total of 633 suspected cases have been recorded.
- The outbreak is focused in the provincial capital of Vanimo, in West Sepik Province in the north-west of Papua New Guinea.
- The Deputy Secretary of Health in PNG says an outbreak is manageable and there has been no fatality to date.
Thailand – Floods (ECHO, UNDSS Thailand)
- As of 15 October, according to the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, a total of 278,402 people in 7 provinces in north-east and central Thailand (namely; Prachinburi, Chachoengsao, Phitsanulok, Pichit, Ayuthaya, Suphanburi and Nakhonpathom) are affected by floods.
- According to the UN Flood Sitrep, the flooding situation in affected areas has been improved and flood waters continue receding.
Nigeria – Floods (Local Media)
- Floods have affected parts of Nigeria since July; the worst hit state was Kogi, followed by the others states positioned along River Niger and River Benue.
- Local media sources quoted that 300 people were reported killed in the floods and 36 camps have been established, spread across the six states of the North-central Nigeria.
Benin – Floods (IFRC-DREF)
- Floods have affected northern Benin in the last weeks, caused by the Niger River that broke its banks due to heavy rains.
- About 50,000 people have been affected in the country (according to IFRC-DREF, as of 15 October).
Meteoalarm – Orange Alert
- Heavy rains in Spain in Huesca, Navarra and Zaragoza – Orange Alert
- Strong winds in France in Haute Garonne and Tarn – Orange Alert
Forest Fire risk in Europe (EFFIS)
- Extreme or very high risk in south-eastern France, southern Sardinia (Italy), north-eastern Greece, southern Ukraine, western and south-eastern Turkey.
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.