Bangladesh – Severe Weather (AP, AFP, Local Media)
- Strong rainstorms hit the districts of Bhola and Noakhali in southern Bangladesh on 11 October killing at least 17 people and injuring a number of others, according to media reports. A significant number of people (fishermen caught at sea) were reported missing as of 14:00 UTC 11 October. Around 1,500 destroyed huts, blocked roads and power cuts were also reported in these regions.
Indonesia – Earthquake (GDACS, USGS, Local Media)
- A strong 6.7M earthquake at a depth of 24.7km struck undersea 90 km south of the coast of Papua, Indonesia at 00:31 UTC 12 October. USGS PAGER indicates shaking on only up to “Light” for the nearest populated places. According to local media, as of 03:00 UTC 12 October there were no reports of damage by this earthquake. JRC calculations and tidal gauge readings indicate that no significant tsunami was generated by this earthquake.
Tropical Cyclone PATTY-12 in NW Atlantic (GDACS, NOAA)
- PATTY-12 formed on 11 October NE of the Bahamas and started moving SW in the direction of the islands. At 03:00 UTC 12 October it was a Tropical Storm with a max. sust. wind speed of 74 km/h and its center was located 344 km NE of Cat Island.
- In the next 24h PATTY is forecast to be mostly stationary, with a slow movement S or SW expected later on, maintaining its strength or weakening slightly. As of 03:00 UTC 12 October there were no coastal Watches or Warnings in effect for the Bahamas.
Somalia – Conflict (ECHO)
- Just over a week after having abandoned Kismayo (its last major stronghold in Southern Somalia) Al Shabab has banned the Muslim aid group Islamic Relief from the territory under its control, putting additional strains on the delivery of humanitarian aid to the most vulnerable in Somalia.
Uganda – Displacement (ECHO)
- Following the influx in Uganda's Kanungu district of 3000 people displaced by conflict in Eastern Congo, UNHCR and local authorities are now working to reopen Matanda Tansit Centre to conduct registration and transport refugees to Rwamwanja settlement.
Fact Sheets updates:
- Thunderstorms in southern Croatia and the western half of continental Italy – Orange Alert
- Heavy rain in northeastern UK – Orange Alert
Forest Fire risk in Europe
- Very high risk in central and NW Bulgaria, southern Ukraine and s few places in NE Greece.
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.