Sudan – conflict (ECHO)
- Two months after the signature of MoUs to that effect, humanitarian access to civilians living in SPLM-N controlled areas of South Kordofan and Blue Nile states (Sudan) is still not being allowed by the government; negotiations are ongoing but so far inconclusive.
- Darfur - a militia group has attacked civilians in Kutum killing 87 civilians, including women and children, and injuring 60 others; 2,000 people have reportedly fled the area. Kutum has seen increased violence following the assassination of the District Commissioner in early August.
- Darfur - 4 UNAMID peacekeepers were killed and 8 injured in an ambush on 2 October by unidentified assailants in El Geneina, just 2 km from the Mission's regional headquarters.
South Sudan – conflict (ECHO)
- Fighting has continued into its third month in Likuangole and Gumuruk (Jonglei State), between the South Sudan army and rebel militias, with most civilians reportedly having fled to the bush.
- The only NGO-run medical facilities in Likuangole and Gumuruk have been suspended due to the insecurity, leaving up to 90,000 people without essential medical assistance.
- While the fighting has not yet spread to Pibor town, civilians are reported to be leaving the town due to the possibility of a confrontation. All international NGO staff have been evacuated from Pibor; humanitarian organizations are monitoring the situation to assess when it is safe to return.
Democratic Republic of Congo – conflict (ECHO)
- More than 4,000 new IDPs from Rutshuru and Nyiragongo (North Kivu) arrived last week in Kanyaruchinya camp, 7 km. north of Goma. More than 50,000 people have been registered there up to now. Humanitarian aid is being provided, despite the logistic and security difficulties.
Tropical Cyclone PRAPIROON-12 in the Pacific (GDACS, PAGASA, NDRMMC)
- On 8 October Tropical Cyclone PRAPIROON (known in the Philippines as NINA) moved over open water in the Pacific, significantly strengthening; it became a Typhoon on 8 October evening.
- At 00:00 UTC on 9 October, it was a Typhoon with a max sustained wind speed of 121 km/h, its center was located about 1,050km E of northern Luzon (Philippines) and it was moving W.
- In the next 24h it is forecast to continue moving W over open water strengthening; later on it is forecast to turn towards N, still moving over open water.
Indonesia – Earthquake (GDACS, USGS, BNPB, Media)
- On 8 October at 11:43 UTC, an earthquake of Magnitude 6.3Mw at a depth of 34.7 km struck off the coasts of eastern Indonesia. The epicentre was located in the Banda Sea about 110 km SSE of Saparua and 137 km SE of Ambon (Moluccas, Indonesia). USGS-PAGER indicates shaking up to “Moderate” for about 15,000 people (“Light” shaking for Ambon, pop. 356000). According to media, there were no reports of damage or victims. There was no tsunami threat by this earthquake.
Italy – Forest Fires (EFFIS News, Media)
- According to local media, late on 7 October a fire burned near Messina in Sicily, threatening and slightly damaging an industrial structure.
Meteoalarm – Orange and Red Alert
- Coastal event (strong winds) in Pomorskie (Poland) – Red Alert
- Coastal event (strong winds) in north-western Poland – Orange Alert
- Strong winds in north-eastern Poland – Orange Alert
- Heavy rain in north-eastern Switzerland and in western Austria – Orange Alert
Forest Fire risk in Europe (EFFIS)
- Extreme or very high risk in south-eastern Italy and in Sardinia, north-western Greece, central and eastern FYRoM, northern and southern Bulgaria, southern Romania and eastern Ukraine.
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.