Tropical Cyclone GAEMI-12 in the South China Sea (GDACS, PAGASA)
- GAEMI-12 is still approaching the Philippines before turning toward Vietnam. At 00:00 UTC 3 October it was a Tropical Storm with a max. sust. wind speed of 93 km/h and its centre was located ca. 210 km west of the coast of Luzon, Philippines, moving SE.
- In the Philippines (where it is known as MARCE) it is enhancing the SW monsoon, occasional moderate to heavy rains in the regions of Metro Manila, Central Luzon, Mimaropa, Calabarzon and Bicol. No public storm warning signals were raised as of 00:00 UTC 3 October.
- In the next 24h GAEMI is forecast to begin making a sharp turn to the west and head in the general direction of the coasts of Vietnam, strengthening slightly. According to the 00:00 UTC 3 October forecast, it could approach Vietnam on 6 October, affecting Vietnam with moderate to strong winds and heavy rainfall. It should then move inland, weakening, and affect also parts of Laos and Thailand. Warnings for the approach of GAEMI by Vietnam NCHMF and by Thailand Meteo are in effect since 2 October.
Tropical Cyclone MALIKSI-12 in the Pacific (GDACS, JMA)
- At 00:00 UTC 3 October MALIKSI-12 was a Tropical Storm with a max. sust. wind speed of 84 km/h, its centre was located 60 km SW of the island of Iwo Jima and it was moving north, strengthening.
- In the next 24h it is forecast to move in a NNE direction, strengthening slightly, passing close by Iwo Jima this morning and west of the tiny island of Ogasawara (JPN) later today (3 October). It should then continue moving NE over open waters, passing roughly 400 km SE of the coasts of Honshu, Japan.
- A warning for heavy rain, storm and high waves by JMA is in effect for Ogasawara (pop. ca. 2,500).
Nigeria – Floods (Local Media)
- Floods in 5 districts along the river Niger in the state of Anambra, central-southern Nigeria have caused the evacuation of around 76,000 people to relief camps in the cities of Onitsha and Nteje, according to local media reports.
- According to the head of the Nigerian Red Cross Society as quoted in local media, the total death toll by the floods in Nigeria has reached 148, with another 64,000 rendered homeless.
Portugal (Azores) – Tropical Cyclone NADINE (GDACS, NOAA, NASA)
- Tropical Cyclone NADINE-12, formed on 11 September is approaching again the Azores. At 03:00 UTC 3 October it was a Tropical Storm with a max. sust. wind speed of 84 km/h and its centre was located 790 km SW of Pico, heading NW.
- The centre of NADINE is forecast to move through the Azores in the morning of 4 October, affecting the central islands with moderate to strong winds (Tropical Storm conditions) and total accumulated rainfall of 50 to 100mm. A Tropical Storm Warning by NOAA is in effect for the Azores as of 03:00 UTC today and an Orange Alert for strong winds by Meteo Portugal is in effect for the central group of the islands.
Forest Fire risk in Europe (EFFIS)
- Extreme or very high risk in extreme southern Italy, eastern Serbia, eastern Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, NE Greece, southern and northern Bulgaria, southern and NE Romania, northern and SE Turkey and southern Ukraine.
Re-use is authorised, provided the source is acknowledged and the original meaning of the document is not distorted. Reuse is not applicable to documents subject to intellectual property rights of third parties. The Commission accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the information contained in this document nor for any consequence stemming from the reuse thereof.