Digital Agenda for Europe
A Europe 2020 Initiative

ICT 2010

The GÉANT Green Team: exploring "green" networking technologies, tools and applications

T 009, 29/09/2010 (14:00-15:30)

The GÉANT network is the pan-European communications infrastructure serving Europe’s research and education community.

The GÉANT project underpinning the network is carrying out research and development into networking technologies, and demonstrating the beneficial synergies of networks and green technologies. This session will examine two aspects of green networking: how networks can measure and understand their carbon footprint, and how networking technology can mitigate carbon emissions. Although ICT is responsible for only 2% of all carbon emissions, it can help reduce some of the remaining 98% – making this workshop essential for those both operating and using networks. The session will comprise presentations, results from real-life cases, and a video link with a similar research network in Canada. Audience participation will be actively encouraged to help participants learn from one another's experience.

www.geant.net

Technical description

Web site: http://www.geant.net

Coordinator: Maddalena VARIO (GARR (Italian Academic & Research Network), external relation, Italy)

Links and Documents

Comments

1 comments, add yours

Daniele MIORANDI, 17/08/2010 15:31

Very interesting topic, I plan to attend.

[Reply]

You must log in to add a comment.

ID: 3284